Chapter 6 - But Seriously, Why Me?

"In my defense, the bantha had it coming,"

"I fail to see how - it was a bantha! Besides, I don't remember it that way at all,"

"With all disrespect, your memory isn't what it used to be, Skywalker,"

"I'm only two years older than you, Aroo."

"So you understand my worries."

If it wasn't for the shift from masculine to feminine, Obi-Wan likely would never have known from which of us this conversation had been initiated by. Anakin and I had always been so very alike in both temperament and opinions.

Obi-Wan sighed and shook his head, "What in the name of the Force are you two going on about now?! We have a very important meeting with the Jedi Council in five minutes. Can you please start acting like adults for once?"

Anakin and I were sitting in chairs on opposite sides of the hallway at the top of the High Council Tower as we awaited the current Jedi Council meeting to adjourn and our own to begin. Sharing a sneaky smile with Anakin, I shifted the pitch of my voice to mimic Obi-Wan's deep tones.

"Jetta, let us meditate on what it means to be regretful of our childish actions and how we can overcome them to become a better version of ourselves. Nay!... A better Jedi,"

Anakin grinned over at me, making a weird feeling twist in my stomach. Shaking it off, I listened as he joined in the teasing of his master.

"And Anakin, I have told you time and time again: do not join in Jetta's antics. You're older, be be mindful of your actions and influence her positively."

My smile melted into a frown as I realized what he'd just said and my voice returned to its normal pitch, "Wait, does he really say that about me?"

The metal doors hissed open at that moment and two Jedi exited before another, older Jedi Master appeared in the doorway.

"Master Kenobi, the Jedi Council will see you now."

Standing to follow Obi-Wan as he strode inside the High Council Chamber, Anakin fell into step beside me. I glanced up at him and he sent me a smile which I returned. As soon as we walked inside and the doors shut behind us, Obi-Wan began to divulge what we had learned chasing the bounty hunter we now knew as Zam Wessel as well as revealing the emergence of another, more experienced bounty hunter. Anakin and I stood by silently, knowing full well Padawan learners present at Council meetings were preferred to be seen and not heard.

"Track down this bounty hunter you must, Obi-Wan," Yoda nodded solemnly in response.

"Most importantly, find out who he's working for," Mace Windu added.

"What about Senator Amidala? She will still need protecting," Obi-Wan pointed out.

Yoda raised his hand slightly from his cane, "Handle that, the Padawans will,"

My eyebrows hit my hairline as did Obi-Wan's at this revelation as Mace Windu continued this line of thought, "Since a Master has not as of yet come forward to claim Aroo as their Padawan learner, she will accompany Skywalker in the ongoing protection of the Senator,"

His eyes flicked to the pair of us then, "Anakin, Jetta, escort the Senator to her home planet of Naboo. She'll be safer there. And don't use registered transport - travel as refugees,"

"As the leader of the Opposition, it will be very difficult to get Senator Amidala to leave the capital," Anakin said in response.

I nodded, "That's a fair point,"

Obi-Wan elbowed me at the blasé attitude I was exhibiting and I mouthed an 'ow' to him in reply.

"Until caught this killer is, our judgement she must respect." Yoda answered sternly before resting his chin on his hands.