Chapter 10 - He Gets That From Obi-Wan

I had been avoiding Anakin relentlessly ever since the near-kiss three days ago. I was quiet at dinner, our banter was non-existent and even Padme had begun to notice the tension crackling between the pair of us. I could tell my self-imposed distance was hurting Anakin but I couldn't find myself alone with him again - the risk was far too great and besides, I didn't trust myself. Part of me wanted to confide in Padme, my newfound friend, but even this, I feared, was too much to divulge. This wasn't just a crush, not just a passing phase - this was treachery against the very oath I had sworn as a small child, an oath that had since defined my life.

So when the senator suggested a picnic in the countryside, I immediately concurred and soon the three of us found ourselves sitting in the middle of a hilly meadow overflowing with luscious fragrant flowers. There was also a herd of Shaaks grazing just in the distance. Behind them lie the broad sparking blue lake, the sun shimmering on the warm waters. It was...peaceful.

Padme was absentmindedly picking flowers at her feet and twining them together to create beautiful bracelets while I was merely ripping grass out of the ground, dirt spraying across my boots as I did. I had long since ditched the dresses Padme loaned me - they clearly had a negative effect on men. Tuning back into the conversation, I decided to jump in and attempt to mend the rift that had sprung up between Anakin and I.

Padme blushed furiously, not wanting to admit who her first crush had been, "I don't know..."

"Sure you do... you just don't want to tell me," Anakin countered with an arched eyebrow, seeming uncharacteristically blasé about the subject.

"Are you going to use one of your Jedi mind tricks on me?"

"They only work on the weak-minded,"

Padme made a slight face before sighing, "All right... I was twelve. His name was Palo. We were both in the Legislative Youth Program. He was a few years older than I... very cute... dark curly hair... dreamy eyes,"

I 'ooh'ed at this before waving a hand, "You have to watch out for those, though. Attractive but heartbreaking. Trust me, been there, done that,"

My comment seemed to rankle Anakin as he replied tartly, "All right, I get the picture...whatever happened to him?"

"I went into public service. He went on to become an artist,"

"Maybe he was the smart one,"

"You really don't like politicians, do you?" Padme asked, arching an eyebrow.

Leaning over to her slightly, I confessed, "He gets that from Obi-Wan,"

Anakin ignored this jibe and replied, "I like two or three, but I'm not really sure about one of them,"

They shared a look before both broke into smiles, glancing away. A sharp pang of jealousy shot through me but I shook it off.

"I don't think the system works," Anakin admitted seriously then.

Padme leaned back on her elbows as she watched him, "How would you have it work?"

"We need a system where the politicians sit down and discuss the problems, agree what's in the best interest of all the people...and then do it,"

"That is exactly what we do. The trouble is that people don't always agree,"

"Like Anakin and I when we eat out with Obi-Wan at Dex's Diner," I mumbled sarcastically.

"Well, then they should be made to," Anakin continued the political conversation.

I nodded along with his statement, "It's radical thinking yet I have to agree. Anything that's meant to benefit the community in some way must be unanimously decided and acted upon. But when unanimity cannot be reached then force may be necessary in those circumstances,"