Chapter 5 - Watch Your Head!

"Anakin! Jetta!" Obi-Wan called out through the din of noise.

Our eyes flicked to the older Jedi walking over to us, muted music from the nightclub surrounding us as it filtered out onto the streets.

"She went into that club, Master," Anakin informed him, ready to jump into action as always.

"Patience. Use the Force. Think," Obi-Wan instructed before his gaze shifted to me, "You know, you could just have well come with me in the speeder since we got here at the same time,"

"But where would the fun in that be, Obi?" I grinned over at him mischievously.

Obi-Wan sighed, "Being a Jedi is not supposed to be "fun", Jetta,"

"Says the man who just flew through the air via drone." I shot back.

Ignoring this, he handed Anakin's lightsaber over to him.

"Next time try not to lose it," Obi-Wan told him in a disapproving tone, "This weapon is your life!"

A laugh bubbled up from my lips at this and I shook my head, "Seriously? You lost it again? Ani, you almost need a keychain for that thing,"

Glaring at me briefly, he apologized to his master before taking it from his outstretched hand. Together, we followed Obi-Wan into the energetic ambiance of the club.

Obi-Wan let out an exasperated sigh, "Why do I feel like you two are going to be the death of me?"

"Probably 'cause we are." I quipped, quickly swiping a shot from a passing droid and downing it.

Suddenly, the droids sensors lit up brighter with recognition as it neared me once more, "Miss Callista Kwin, how good to see you again. You'll be pleased to know the cardroom has three available slots tonight,"

I paled as the realization hit me all at once - this was one of the clubs I had frequented as of late. It hadn't registered with me in the thick of the chase. Clearing my throat, I smiled slightly and shook my head, "Sorry, you must be mistaken. I'm a Jedi on business here."

"That cannot be. Just four days ago-" the droid began to say but I didn't stay to hear the rest, positioning myself between the two Jedi as we surveyed the room.

Obi-Wan arched an eyebrow quizzically, "What was that about?"

I shrugged, pretending to be busy looking for the bounty hunter, "I don't know. Droid had a loose wire or something, I guess."

The elder Jedi seemed to accept this answer but Anakin certainly didn't. However, instead of being angry with the subject of my rule-breaking being brought up again, a grin split his face and his shoulders shook in a silent laugh before he glanced away. Hm, that's odd. He seemed very agitated with me being in a nightclub just a few days ago when I danced with that Zabrak...

"Do you see him?" Obi-Wan asked us.

"I think he is a she..." Anakin said, trailing off.

"...and I think she's a changeling." I finished the thought for him.

Obi-Wan nodded in understanding as the occupants of the club milled around us.

"In that case, be extra careful," he advised before beginning to walk off, "Go and find her,"

"Where are you going, Master?" Anakin asked in confusion.

"For a drink." he replied simply and I smiled as he left.

"I recommend the Juri Juice!" I called after him.

Anakin and I shared a look, the both of us shrugging before taking a stroll through the club. As we walked, it seemed as if every alien in the room wanted the same space we occupied. I was jostled closer to Anakin so much that eventually I fell in step beside him, our hands brushing every so often as we moved through the crowd. The females in the club smiled flirtatiously at Anakin as we strode by, making me feel uncomfortable and slightly agitated. It would be much easier to do our job if they just left us alone.

He must have sensed my uneasiness, although not knowing exactly why, because his hand moved to rest on the small of my back in a comforting gesture.

"Do you see her?" he asked quietly, leaning his head closer to mine so as not to be overheard.

The club must have been filling with more people as I felt heat rise to my cheeks, the air stifling my breath. I was about to reply when suddenly, I sensed a shift in the Force. I could tell Anakin felt it at the same time, too.

"Jet!" he cried out as he glanced behind me, barely pushing me out of the way before the sapphire flash of a lightsaber appeared out of nowhere and a cry of agony split the air. Spinning around, my gaze immediately locked on the bounty hunter lying on the floor in a pool of her own crimson blood, face contorted in pain while her arm lie severed from her body.

I let out a breath I didn't know I'd been holding. Sending a nod of thanks to Obi-Wan, he returned the gesture before roughly pulling the changeling to her feet. Silence reigned in the club as Anakin waved a hand, "Easy. Jedi business. Go back to your drinks."

As we dragged the bounty hunter outside and dropped her on the dirty, slick pavement, I could feel anger rolling off Anakin in waves. His jaw was clenched, his mouth set in a hard line. His ocean-blue eyes flicked to mine then and I glanced away.

"Do you know who it was you were trying to kill?" Obi-Wan interrogated her.

Grimacing, she replied, "It was a Senator from Naboo,"

"And who hired you? As you've added yet another attempted murder to your list, the Republic will be forced to implement-"

Glaring at Obi-Wan, the changeling cut him off, "It was just a job,"

The remark stung but as a Jedi, I'd had many brushes with death as well as dealing with unnecessarily rude people. However, the comment seemed to unnerve Anakin further.

"Who hired you? Tell us," Anakin demanded only to be met with a stubborn silence, "Tell us now!"

His shout reverberated off the walls of the filthy alley, effectively scaring her into submission.

Swallowing, she opened her mouth to reply, "It was a bounty hunter called-"

Gasping in pain as a toxic dart embedded in her neck, her eyes widened in fear before death glazed her eyes and she fell back lifeless. Whipping my head around to see who the assailant was, I got a flash of polished silver before the armored bounty hunter flew away on a jetpack. Narrowing my brown eyes, I couldn't help but feel a sense of... No, just my imagination...