Gotta Be Me

Miles is tearing through his and Y/n's dorm room in an emotional, teenaged rage. He pushes all of his homework and books off his desk and his sketchbook falls open on the floor, the artwork he did with Aaron staring up at him. Miles picks it up and throws it out the window. The notebook flies back through the window like a boomerang, Miles catches it. Peter's head pops into the window. He climbs into the room, followed by the other spiders. Peter walks up to Miles and puts a hand on his shoulder.

Peter B Parker: Hey, bud. You okay?

Miles takes a deep breath, holding back tears. He looks around the small room, seeing all the people who had come to support him.

Peter B. Parker: We've all been there. For me it was my Uncle Ben.

Spider-Man Noir: For me it was my Uncle Benjamin.

Peni Parker: For me it was my father.

Gwen Stacy: For me it was my best friend.

Y/n: I lost my little brother.

Spider-Ham: Miles, the hardest thing about this job is you can't always save everybody.

Miles Morales: Look, it was my fault. You wouldn't understand.

Gwen Stacy: Miles, we're probably the only ones who do understand.

Miles remains unconvinced. With regret: the Spider-People begin to leave. Miles watches Gwen climb through the window, leaving only Y/n in the room.

Miles Morales: What's going on?

Gwen Stacy: Bye Miles.

Y/n: Miles, I came to say goodbye.

Miles Morales: We can say goodbye at the collider.

Y/n: You're not coming.

Miles Morales: I need to be there. So you can all go home.

Miles picks up the goober off his desk, striding back to Y/n to assert his necessity to their plan.

Y/n: They are going home, Miles. I'm the only one staying.

Miles Morales: You're taking my place? If you stay here you'll die.

Y/n: I know. But you're not ready, and I'm probably the best candidate for training you. You know, given that I'm only a few years older than you.

Miles Morales: What about Gwen? You'll never be able to see her again!

Y/n: I won't see her again either way. The least I can do is not be selfish. I need the goober. Please don't make me take it from you.

Miles Morales: That's not fair! You've gotta tell them I can do this!

Y/n: It wasn't their decision. I tried to vouch for you Miles, but they're right. You'd only get yourself killed.

Miles Morales: I gotta make Kingpin pay! You have to let me make him pay!

Y/n: I can't let Spider-Man die.

Miles Morales: Neither can I! Not again. I'm ready, I promise.

Y/n does a combo move, nearly knocking Miles to the ground, Y/n sticks to the ceiling and catches Miles in mid-air, letting him hang.

Y/n: Then venom strike me right now, or turn invisible on command so you can get past me.

Miles tries to do what he's saying but it only makes Y/n seem even more right. Outside the window, the other Spiders listen to their conversation.

Y/n: Look, I know how much you want this.

Spider-Man Noir: Poor little guy.

Back inside the dorm room, Y/n puts Miles down. He takes the web off of his shirt and throws it in the trash can.