Chapter Sixteen

Happy happy Halloween! So here's the thing. I've gotten a LOT of support on this book, especially as a first-time writer. Thank you all so so much. It means the world. 

SONG- Fallin' All in You- Shawn Mendes 

Do you guys like the spelling Sean or Shawn more? 

Onward!

Nick laid in bed that night with a massive grin on his face. He had Charlie, Nellie, so many new friends who already felt like family. He patted Nellie's soft fur and she yawned. 

Suddenly, Nick's phone rang, signaling a call from his mom. He picked up immediately considering he hadn't told his mom everything yet.

"Hey, mum! How's it going?" 

"Hi baby! I'm good! Just checking in." Sarah said.

"It's all good. Charlie and I got back together." Nick said, trying not to grin.

"Aw yay! I knew you would." 

"Hey, would you maybe want to come round for dinner? I know you and Charlie haven't met yet but I think it's time." 

"That would be lovely. I know you two were together for two entire months, one of us was just always busy or off doing something." Sarah stated.

"Yeah, does Saturday work?" Nick asked. 

"I'll check my schedule and let you know." 

"Okay. Love you mum."

"Love you too, Nicky. Bye." 

Nick hangs up and flops back down on his bed. Picking up his phone again, he rings Charlie.

"Hello?" Charlie picked up on the third ring.

"Hey Char! My mom wants us to have dinner at mine Saturday evening. Is that cool with you?" 

"Yeah! Can I stay over after?" 

"Of course. You never have to ask to stay over, Char." Nick laughs into the phone.

"Well I didn't want to assume." Charlie gripes back. 

"Okay okay. So Saturday at 5:30?" 

"Okay." Charlie agrees. 

"Awesome." 

The line goes quiet for a moment before Nick speaks up. 

"Are you gonna hang up?" Nick asks.

"Oh yeah. Bye!" 

"Bye, Char." Nick laughs.

They hang up and Nick smiles. He picks up his laptop and turns on a Marvel movie. He falls asleep soon after the movie ends. 

SKIP TO SATURDAY

Charlie rings the doorbell anxiously, rocking back and forth on his feet. The door opens and in the doorway is a shorter woman with light brown hair and a kind smile. 

"Charlie!" Sarah exclaims. 

"Hi, Ms. Nelson." She sweeps him into a tight hug. 

"Oh please deary, call me Sarah." She pulls back and gives him a wide grin. 

"Come in, come in!" For anyone else, this level of enthusiasm would have been startling but Charlie now understood where Nick got his near constant giddy and excited energy. 

She leads him to the living room, "Nicky! Your boyfriend is here!" Despite her being a literal mom, she said this with a giggle before heading off to the kitchen. Nick jumps up and kisses Charlie's cheek, taking his coat as well.