Chapter 3 - The Rehearsal Disaster!

"Master Van Dort, from the beginning. Again." The annoyed voice of Pastor Galswells resonated through the room the wedding rehearsal was taking place in.

Inside were only a handful of people. There was the Everglots and the Van Dorts, (Y/N) who was sitting up front with her parents, and the Everglot butler that stood dutifully at the entrance of the room. 

Then, at the front of the room, was Pastor Galswells, an old man with long robes and a harsh, wrinkled face. He stood in front of a long table that held a lit candle and a wine cup, while he held onto a big book and a long staff with a curled top. 

Lastly, there was Victor and Victoria, who stood in front of him and behind the long table, each holding a candle.

"With this hand, I will lift your sorrows. Your cup will never empty for I will be your wine. With this candle, I will light your way in darkness. With this ring, I ask you to be mine." Galswells quoted the necessary vows before turning to glare at Victor. "Let's try it again."

"Yes. Yes, sir." Victor dutifully answered as he stood straight and held up his candle. "With this candle..."

He went to light it on the wick of Galswells' candle but when he pulled it back, it wasn't burning.

"This candle..."

He tried again, holding it a little longer, but his candle still would not burn.

"This...candle..."

He attempted one more time but he still wasn't able to get his candle lit.

He nervously glanced behind him, hearing his parents mutter to one another in complaint and worry. It was evident on their faces. The Everglots were not much better, scowling at him in disapproval.

It was only (Y/N) who gave him a small, encouraging smile, waving at him to keep on going.

The pastor loudly cleared his throat and Victor looked over to see that his candle had been lit while he had been nervously looking over his shoulder.

"Thank goodness." (Y/N) whispered happily to herself.

Victor even let out a surprised but delighted laugh as he stood back up and confidently proclaimed, "With this candle... Ha."

But his happiness was short-lived as, with his small laugh, he accidentally blew out his candle. Everyone sighed out in disappointment and (Y/N) covered her face, praying that it would get better.

"Continue!" The pastor angrily ordered but it was all put to a halt as the entrance bell rang loudly throughout the house.

"Get the door, Emil." Lord Everglot commanded, waving off his butler before returning his gaze to the disastrous display.

"Let's just pick it up at the candle bit."

But before the pastor could continue, the butler came scuttling back into the room. "A Lord Barkis, sir." He relayed, passing over a business card.

Just as he did, a well-dressed, well-postured, and decent-looking gentleman came strutting into the room. He had a strong chin, proudly puffed-out chest, and an arrogant air about him. One couldn't deny he had a superiority to him and everyone watched him curiously as he made his way to the front, where everyone else was gathered.

"I haven't a head for dates." He explained, with a voice as refined as gold. Though (Y/N) quirked her eyebrow, not missing the hint of snark within his tone. "Apparently I'm a day early for the ceremony."

They all stared at him curiously, neither sure if they actually knew he was. Lady Everglot grabbed the business card and inspected the name printed on it.