Chapter 8 - Going Up Top

The couple made their way across the town, all the way to a large tower. They climbed the spiralled steps and soon made it to the top. Bookshelves and thousands of books filled the large space. Even the high pedestal, the only other thing within the room that loomed above everything else, was surrounded by books.

(Y/N) looked around in amazement. She could only dream of having a whole room filled to the brim with books. Though, unlike this room that was most likely filled with books on different subjects and knowledge, if she had a room like this, hers would be filled with novels and works of fiction.

"Elder Gutknecht...are you there?" Emilien softly called out to the mysterious man that this building belonged to. "Hello? Is anyone home?"

Meanwhile, (Y/N) was so enthralled by all the books in the room that she hadn't noticed herself backing into a stack of them until they toppled over. The suddenness of it all spooked a bunch of crows and sent them wildly flying in all directions.

She gasped in horror, clinging onto Emilien for comfort. He didn't hesitate to wrap his arms around her, soothingly running his fingers through her (H/C) hair. Even now, when she was frightened and confused beyond all measure, she couldn't help but appreciate the loving gesture. He held her so softly, yet it felt like she could brave an entire army as long as she was in his embrace.

And, it only made her guilt worsen.

Suddenly a boney hand reached out to settle a shaking lamp that had been knocked about when the crows were spooked. When the light settled, a skeleton with dusty glasses and a long white beard was revealed, coughing slightly as he glanced around from atop his pedestal.

"There you are." Emilien beamed upon seeing the old skeleton.

"Is that Elder Gutknecht?" 

"Yes, my dearest."

As the couple whispered amongst themselves, Elder Gutknecht looked down at them, adjusting his glasses before cheerfully calling out, "Oh, my dear boy. There you are."

"I've brought my darling wife, (Y/N)." Emilien explained as he lovingly showed her off.

"What's that? Wife?" He glanced down, getting a better look and, sure enough, he saw (Y/N) blushing madly at Emilien's side. "My word, dear boy. You have certainly gained a beautiful wife."

"She's just darling, isn't she!" He gushed, hugging her waist.

His words struck her heart, in the most amazing way yet also in the most devastating way. But she did her best to still her rapid heartbeat as she politely greeted, "Pleasure to meet you, sir."

"We need to go up. Upstairs. To visit the land of the living." Emilien explained after a while, getting straight to the task at hand.

"Land of the living?" The skeleton pondered as he descended from above and slowly made his way towards them. "Oh, my dear boy."

"Please, Elder Gutknecht."

"Now, why go up there when people are dying to get down here?"

"Sir, I beg you to help. It means so much to...us." (Y/N) pleaded.

"I don't know." He reasoned as he finally stopped in front of them. "It's just not natural."

"Please, Elder Gutknecht. Surely there must be something that you can do."

The old skeleton stared at the pleading eyes of the corpse groom and he just knew he couldn't refuse. The boy was just too sweet and there was no resisting his requests.

Patting the man's hand in an understanding manner, Elder Gutknecht began walking around his maze of books as he softly stated, "Let me see what I can do. Where did I put that book?"