Chapter 7 - Getting To Know Each Other

The corpse groom leaned down and pulled (Y/N) up by her waist. She once again admired his strength. It was a little hard not to, even after she had been running from him.

He held her close, and she could feel his strong chest pressed up against her, making her blush slightly at the contact. He turned her towards the cliff edge and she seemed to calm when she saw the view before them.

The city was stretched out in front of them like a painting. It was strange that a whole underground civilisation of the dead was "living" here. But, in a weird way, it was sort of beautiful to know there was life after death and it even seemed to be more eventful than anything that went on above ground.

"Isn't the view beautiful? It takes my breath away." The corpse groom sighed dreamily as he made his way over to a little bench. "Well, it would if I had any."

She stared at him in confusion. She wasn't sure what to make of this man. He was sweet and kind and she admired that about him. But he was also technically forcing her to be his bride and she couldn't stand for that.

It was conflicting to say the least.

"Isn't it romantic?" He asked as he sat on the bench.

"I guess it is...in a weird kind of way."

He chuckled at her remark before playfully petting the seat next to him. She was a little hesitant to take it but, with no other options, she sighed and gave in. It was awkward as silence lingered between them so (Y/N) decided to try and make some small talk.

"This place is kind of lively for a bunch of dead people, isn't it?"

He stared at here with wide eyes and she realized what she must have said was probably very insensitive.

"I'm sorry. I guess my mother was right about me being better off keeping my thoughts to myself."

"No, you said nothing wrong!" He quickly reassured, scaring her a little with his loud and sudden outburst. He quickly retracted and went back to a more normal seating position before saying, "What I mean is, what you said wasn't rude. It's just that you get so used to how things work around here you kind of forget that up top isn't like this."

"Why do you think that is?"

"I guess when people die, they don't really have many worries. Being dead is like letting go of all of that so you're free to do whatever down here."

"I see." She mused before she thought back to his death and some pity lingered from that. "I'm sorry...I mean about how you died."

"It's fine. Not much I can do about it now."

"I guess but it's still sad. Though I will say you acted quite rashly without having ever met the woman who turned out didn't even exist."

It was quiet for a moment, and she feared she may have hit a nerve but, when he spoke, his voice was soft and held no anger.

"I just hoped that I could find love."

"What?"

"When I was alive, I came from a wealthy family and though I was handsome and had, if I may brag a little, a great personality, girls only seemed to flock for my money. And, like a fool, I would regularly spend my wealth on them thinking it's what one did when they were in love."

"Really?"

"Yeah. It made my father so angry and it made me feel so foolish when he finally explained to me what those women really wanted. It made finding love so difficult for me and it made me think I'd never find true love."

For some reason, a nasty and bitter smile adorned (Y/N)'s face. It was almost comical that he dreamed for the same thing she did and, somewhat sarcastically, she asked, "Like in the stories?"