Chapter 12 - Reconciliation

(Y/N) nervously made her way to the pub, led there by Scraps who had sweetly come to fetch her after some time. He pointed towards the inside, signalling where Emilien could be found. She looked inside and he was easy to spot, as he was by the piano and was also the only soul in sight.

She was apprehensive to approach him, after all they had ended things on such sour terms. But she knew she had to make things right. With a sigh, she made her way over to him, as he sat and sadly played the piano, his tune sombre and miserable.

"So...you play the piano?"

She attempted to make light conversation, to try and ease the tension. But that didn't seem to succeed. Emilien simply looked away, still letting his fingers glide against a few keys. She sighed as she sat down as well, facing away from him as she thought of what to say.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry I lied to you and hurt you. It's just that this whole day hasn't gone quite, well...according to plan."

Emilien said nothing, in fact he barely even acknowledged her. She could understand that. After all, in his eyes she betrayed him. And, she supposed he was right to some degree. But, even if she tried to explain it all to him, she doubted he'd listen to her now.

As she watched his fingers limply press down on the piano keys, she decided to play her own tune. If she was going to sit here, and not get anywhere with him, she was at least going to have better, more uplifting music.

She started playing on the other end of the piano, strumming a tune she was familiar with. Something she played when she felt like nothing was going right in her life. It seemed that the situation she found herself in fit that description quite well.

Emilien gazed at her, somewhat surprised that she could play. He didn't know that about her...though, now that he thought about it, he really didn't know her very well at all.

(Y/N) gazed at him when she noticed he was gazing at her but he quickly turned away when she did. A small frown took over her features but she didn't bother to say anything as she continued to play, the tune growing a little louder.

Emilien, when he was sure she wasn't looking, went back to watching her play and the sight saddened him once more. Aside from Scraps and her terrible relationship with her mother, as well as their shared love of romance stories, he really didn't know much about her. Yet, he loved her beyond words. He didn't really know what that said about him but he was starting to think that she was right in running from him.

He was pulled from his thoughts when he realized she was watching him, smiling as she played in a way to prompt him into completing the melody. If he could, he would have blushed, but instead turned away from (Y/N) once more. 

But it didn't stop her. She even nudged him, playfully willing him to join her.

He glanced at her from the corner of his eye, smiling slightly as he gave in. They played together, the music swelling in a way that even made the atmosphere rise. They happily bounced their fingers from key to key and they both created a tune that truly lifted their spirits.

Emilien's hand seemed to find it way more enjoyable as it popped off his arm, glided across the keys, and skipped up (Y/N)'s arm. She watched it for a moment, as it danced on her shoulder, before giggling and picking it up.

"Pardon my enthusiasm." Emilien sheepishly said.

"I like your enthusiasm." (Y/N) sweetly stated as she reconnected the hand to his arm.

"You play beautifully."

"You're not so bad yourself."

He smiled at her words before a frown once again took over. "You know, I was wrong in taking you. I was just so desperate for love; I didn't even think about how you must have felt."