Chapter 13 - A Dead Wedding

(Y/N) sat outside the pub, near the back of it, with nothing but her guilt-ridden thoughts as company. She had thought over what Mayhew had told her and all she could feel was guilt. In her mind, she ruined her brother's chance at a happy ending with Victoria. And, even worse, Victoria was forced to marry someone else she didn't even love.

Everything seemed to consume her and she couldn't see a bright side to any of it. If her brother didn't hate her back in Victoria's room, then he definitely hated her now.

As she was wondering what to do now, she was pulled from her negative thoughts when she heard voices coming from the kitchen.

"Oh, Miss Plum, what am I to do?"

That was Emilien.

She got up from where she was seated and peeked through the back door, into the kitchen. There she saw Emilien with Miss Plum, who was cooking something in a large pot, along with two other chefs.

"She just walked off without saying a word. I wonder if she's alright? Those things that that man said about her brother really seemed to sadden her." 

"Give her some time, sweetie. She'll be back soon. She's just worried about her brother. After all, it's a right mess for him up there." Miss Plum sweetly reassured.

Her words only seemed to bring (Y/N) even lower. There was definitely no way she could ever face at her brother again. He'd resent her for ruining his life, and she couldn't blame him if he did.

"I guess you're right."

Just then, Elder Gutknecht walked it, with a giant book in his hands. "My boy, we need to talk."

"Let me tell him, please. Let me tell him." The maggot pleaded from underneath one of the book's pages.

"What?" Emilien asked.

"There is a complication with your marriage." Elder Gutknecht informed.

"I don't understand."

"The vows are binding only until death do you part."

"What are you saying?"

"Death has already parted you."

They all gasped at the news, even (Y/N) as she watched from her hidden spot.

"If she finds out, she'll leave me. There must be something that you can do." Emilien begged.

"Well, there is one thing." Elder Gutknecht confessed, though he seemed to dread what he had to say.

His tone was very different from the maggot's, that very excitedly pleaded, "Oh, please, please, let me tell him."

"It requires the greatest sacrifice."

"Go on, get to the good part."

"What is it?" Emilien asked, growing worried.

"We have to kill her!" The maggot blurted out.

"What?!"

(Y/N) gasped as she leaned against the wall, still out of sight. Her heart was racing, pulse quickening with every fearful thump.

"(Y/N) would have to give up the life she had forever." Elder Gutknecht explained as he paged through the book, to show Emilien what needed to be done. "She would need to repeat her vows in the land of the living and drink from the wine of ages."

"Poison!"

"This would stop her heart forever. Only then would she be free to give it to you."

Emilien stood for a moment, allowing the words to sink in. But he just couldn't do it.