Chapter 11 - Crazy Things Happen On The Surface

"It's true, mother!" Victoria desperately tried to reason with her mother as she furiously paced the room. "(Y/N) is married to a dead man. Me and Victor saw him. A corpse! Standing right here with us."

"(Y/N) was in your room?" Was her mother's only response to the situation.

"That's not the issue, madam. My sister was taken by a corpse." Victor pointed out, still shaken up by what he witnessed.

"We have to help her." Victoria pleaded.

Though they made good points and sounded genuinely frighted and disturbed by what they saw, it didn't seem to have any effect. To Lady Everglot and Hildegarde, both looked like raving lunatics.

"The scandal!" Lady Everglot exclaimed, ignoring their pleas, only worried about how they'd embarrass her if their ravings were ever heard.

Hildegarde grabbed a hand from each of the terrified duo. She gently led them a way's off from Lady Everglot and softly tried to comfort them. 

"Come and take a seat in these chairs, dearies. You're both shaking like leaves. Let Hilde fetch you some blankets."

Her attempts were not of much help and she wasn't able to do anymore as Lady Everglot screeched, "Fetch them straitjackets! They're completely mad! Come Hildegarde."

They both left the room and, to make sure neither of them tried anything foolish before the wedding, she decided to lock them in the room.

They stared in shock as the lock snapped into place and neither could understand what to do next. That was until thunder boomed from outside and a lightning flash illuminated the room. They glanced towards the balcony and it seemed that the same idea formed in their heads.

Victor immediately opened the balcony doors and, as soon as he did, Victoria rushed out. She stared over the railing and gasped when she saw how far the ground was. How poor (Y/N) had climbed up all that way was beyond her.

"Now what?" Victor asked.

Victoria thought for a moment before she smiled, running back inside. It wasn't long before she returned, with her large quilt in hand and she draped it over the railing.

Victor went first, to check its stability, while Victoria watched on in worry. He slowly made his way down before hopping off. The quilt had been a bit far from the ground but close enough for Victor to jump off and land with only a small thud.

He got up and went to call Victoria but panicked when he saw Lord Everglot right in front of him, just on the other side of a large window. He ducked behind a wall and breathed out in relief when he realized the Lord had been too focused on his pocket watch to notice him.

But, due to how close the stumpy man was, Victor was unable to warn Victoria. She climbed down the quilt but gasped as it ripped and left her dangling precariously in view of her father.

Luckily, he was still distracted by his pocket watch as his wife ordered him to come to bed. Victoria could feel as the quilt was slowly giving in but just hoped it lasted long enough until her father left.

He turned and went off to bed just as the quilt gave way, ripping off from its final threads. Victoria landed a little harsher than Victor did, as she had no control over her landing, but Victor was quick to rush to her side and make sure she was okay.

"At least you'll be able to keep dry." He softly joked as he draped the ripped off part of the quilt over Victoria's head and shoulders, while rain poured over the town.

"What about you?"

"I'll be fine, but now isn't the time to worry."

They both ran off, away from the mansion and made sure to hide away in one alley so they could catch their breaths and gather their thoughts.