Chapter 10 - Tears To Shed

The two appeared back in Elder Gutknecht's library. As soon as their feet touched the floor, Emilien angrily pushed (Y/N) away from him.

"You lied to me! Just to get back to that other man."

(Y/N) slightly grinned at his jealousy. She knew it was neither the place nor the time but she couldn't help it. He was jealous (and of Victor of all people).

So, even though it wasn't the right thing to say, she chuckled as she replied, "Even if that was the case, technically you would be the other man."

"No! You're married to me. He's the other man."

Her eyes widened when she realized he was starting to cry. Soon, fat tears streamed down his pale blue cheeks and she knew she had hurt him deeply.

She tried to comfort him but was halted when he loudly sobbed out, "And I thought-and I thought this was all going so well!"

She gasped as his eye popped out from how hard he was crying and it rolled over the wooden floorboards and over to her feet. Without a second thought, she picked it up and sweetly tried to give it back to him.

He sniffled as he looked over to her but didn't have the heart to even speak. He snatched the eye back, without any hint of gratitude.

"It's my eye, isn't it?" He asked in an insecure manner.

"No, of course not. I think your eye is lovely." And she meant it. After being around him so long she had gotten so used to his limbs popping off and even seemed to look past the blue skin and exposed bones. But it was also for that reason that she guiltily explained, "But, Emilien, we're just too different. I mean, you're dead."

"Then why did you recite those vows to me?"

"I wasn't reciting them to anyone. I was trying to help my brother because he's getting married."

"So, when you said those vows so sweetly, it meant nothing?"

"Well..." She didn't know how to answer and she shyly looked away as she said, "I was saying them as if the person I loved were in front of me."

"So, you don't love me!"

"I never said that!"

"Shouldn't you have thought about this before you asked me to marry you?"

"For heaven's sake, don't you understand? I never meant to marry you. It was a mistake."

She covered her mouth in horror, immediately regretting her words. To be fair, she only spoke the truth. Emilien had assumed a lot of things and he kidnapped her to be his bride, without ever checking if that's what she wanted.

But, on the other hand, she felt bad for him. She could understand his feelings better than anyone else. She could understand the pain of wondering if one would ever find true love. 

However, all these thoughts didn't take back her hurtful words.

Emilien gasped at her revelation. He couldn't believe how cruel her words were. Though they were true, it only seemed to solidify the idea that he would truly never find the love he so desperately sought.

"Emilien, I- "

"No! Just..." He couldn't even finish his words as he left the library...without her.

She watched as he left, unable to do anything else, as her heart continued to ache. 

"Was he such a terrible husband that you decided the best course of action was to run from him?" Elder Gutknecht asked, it wasn't in a rude or sarcastic manner, he was just genuinely curious.