Prologue

Petunia and Vernon Dursley looked at the little boy on their doorstep in shock. He was wrapped in a thin green blanket with, what they assumed, were his initials sewn in. He was worryingly silent for a baby who had been out in the cold all night, and Petunia hurriedly picked him up and cradled him close to her chest, trying to warm him.

"Who would leave a baby on a doorstep overnight?" she asked, outraged. "In November?"

Vernon was also furious at the lack of care shown, but a letter that had been underneath the baby caught his eye. He picked it up and opened it, reading it aloud.

Dear Petunia,

This is Lily's son, Harrison. I know you did not get along well with her, but please take young Harry in. She and her husband cannot keep him. As long as he lives under your roof, you can treat him how you'd like.

Sincerely, Albus Dumbledore.

Petunia hissed angrily. "He expects me to abuse my nephew? Just because Lily ran off to some exclusive, secretive boarding school and never spoke to me again? How dare that old headmaster encourage abuse? How dare Lily abandon her own son?"

Vernon agreed with her, though he fumed silently. "We'll raise him as our own, Pet," he said firmly. "We won't play that old man's games. Come on, let's go shopping for him. He can have the guest room when he's older and can stay in Dud's room for now."

Petunia nodded, holding the child close. He was too cold. Too quiet for a baby this cold. "He needs to warm up first, Vernon," she said. "I'll stay here with Harry and Dudley while you go get some things for him."

Vernon kissed his wife's cheek, called in to work for the  week off, grabbed his car keys and wallet, and drove to the store.

At the store, he bought a new crib, more toys, clothes, and everything else Harry would need. He felt compelled to buy a couple of certain stuffies for the child. The first was a wolf and the second was a black dog.

After paying, he drove everything back to their house and set up the crib and dresser for his nephew. Petunia put the things he bought away while Vernon watched little Harry play in the play pen, smiling at the child as he happily babbled and played with his new stuffies, which seemed to be his favorites.

"Pa'foo'!" Harry declared, naming the dog. "Moo'y!" was the name given to the wolf. He also seemed partial to the snake plushie, which he affectionately named "Tommy."

Vernon thought all of this was adorable and knew them and there that he was always going to love Harry as his own. No matter what, he would support and care for his nephew.

Petunia saw her husband smiling fondly at the small baby and smiled as well. She had always loved her sister and it had hurt when she had left her alone, not contacting at all and not speaking to her when she came home for the summer, always holed up in her room, reading. Despite this, she would never take her pain out on her cute nephew.

The two adults exchanged glances and fond smiles. Yes, Harry would be loved as their own. They would make certain of it.

--------------------------------------

Sorry this is short. The chapters will be longer than this.