Chapter 17

Dumbledore watched the students file into the Great Hall on the second day of the term, his gaze fixing on one Harrison Prince. The boy was a problem for him, that was for certain. He had been certain when he asked Lily to take him away that the boy was a squib. He hadn't shown any signs of accidental magic and didn't seem at all remarkable, apart from the lightning bolt scar on his forehead and his brightly colored eyes.

Yet, he came to Hogwarts and topped his classes. He was powerful and charming and very much seemed like another Tom Riddle with his growing group of "friends."

This was a problem because in his group of followers was his older brother: The-Boy-Who-Lived. Alex Potter had turned his back on Dumbledore and he knew it was all because of Harrison that his plans were being ruined.

Alex was supposed to look to him for guidance in defeating Tom when he inevitably rose again. Then, he would die by Tom's hand and Dumbledore would swoop in to save the day by killing Tom.

Of course, Tom becoming what he was now was all Dumbledore's doing as well. He had seen him as a child. Powerful, charming, easily able to overtake Dumbledore in power and popularity. He couldn't let that happen, so he played on the boy's weaknesses. Tom had always had trouble feeling empathy and emotion because of being the result of a love potion, but he still had the capacity. Well, he did until Dumbledore took it away.

He knew very well that what he was doing was illegal, but no one had ever caught him before and he was certain it would remain that way. After all, he was the Great Albus Dumbledore, defeater of Gellert Grindelwald and Leader of the Light. He could talk his way out of anything.

"Albus, I don't know what your obsession with Mr. Prince is, but I warn you against acting on it," Minerva said from beside him.

Ah, Minerva. She was one of his most loyal and trustworthy followers. She never doubted that he was powerful enough to do something and always knew that he was doing everything for the Greater Good.

Dumbledore forced himself to look away from Harrison and face his deputy with a twinkle in his eyes. "I don't know what you mean, Minerva," he said. "I am merely concerned about the boy."

"Concerned?" Minerva's voice held an unusual amount of scorn. "What possible reason has he shown to cause concern, Albus?"

"He reminds me of Tom," Albus said.

Minerva reared back in shock at his statement. "You are not seriously comparing him to He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named?" she hissed incredulously, causing Severus to glance over with a frown. "Albus, you listen to me closely," Minerva said. "If I hear about you doing anything to Mr. Prince, you will not like the results. If you call him to your office, it better be for completely academic reasons and his Head of House better be there."

Dumbledore barely restrained from scowling as he nodded. Harrison was messing everything up! Not only was he removing Alex Potter from his grasp, but now Minerva was slipping away as well!

Owls flew into the Great Hall, each carrying a copy of the Daily Prophet. One dropped a paper in Dumbledore's lap, and he picked it up to look at the front page.

Lily Potter's Abandoned Son

He read through it, paling at the details within that threatened his perfect reputation and his position of power. He could feel the eyes of his students boring into him as he hastily exited the Hall.

As he hurried out, he caught the satisfied smirk of Harrison Prince. So, it was his doing. Dumbledore hadn't been sure, seeing as everyone in the school had heard Harrison's former surname at his sorting.

He slammed the door to his office and let out a shout of frustration. Everything was going wrong! Harrison was supposed to be the abused squib brother of The-Boy-Who-Lived that Alex would save at a later date under his guidance. Instead, he was a happy, powerful wizard that had turned his weapon against him.

Not only that, but Alex hadn't stopped Quirrel from stealing the Philosopher's Stone the year before, meaning Tom would be able to rise again! That wasn't supposed to happen until Alex was at least in his sixth year!

He hadn't risen yet, Dumbledore was sure. Any ritual Tom might have created would need to be performed on Halloween, when the veil between spirits and mortals was at its thinnest.

Dumbledore glared at the ground as he popped a lemon drop in his mouth and sat down. He needed to plan. Harrison was going to have to stop messing with his plans and the only way for that to happen was to get rid of him. But how?

A wicked smirk took over his expression. He had just the plan to send Harrison to Azkaban for good.

--------------------------------------

Hey, y'all! Sorry it took me so long to update. I'm sick right now and it was difficult for me to find the energy to do much writing, which is why this chapter is so short. I hope it meets your standards, however.