Chapter 16

Rita Skeeter was a proud witch with an incredible talent. She was the best journalist in Magical Britain and she knew it. Of course, her Animagus form helped greatly, but most of her success was built off of hours of research and her natural gift with words.

When Rita latched onto a story, she saw it through to the very end. She would work into the early morning hours for days to be sure her articles were perfect. She loved to spin a tale using undisputed facts. Ruining reputations was her specialty, but she only did so when the person deserved it.

Such is the case of one Lily Evans (she refused to call the unfaithful woman by her married name).

Rita had been searching for dirt on the despicable woman for years. She knew all about Evans's infidelities, but she could never prove them to be true, so she had carefully saved the details that she knew of in her file.

But now, now Rita had a foothold.

What was it about young Harrison Prince that Evans hated so much? From what she had found so far, the young boy was a brilliant and powerful student at Hogwarts. Alexander Potter, The-Boy-Who-Lived, had mentioned him being top of his classes and having a charming personality.

What was the connection?

The former Slytherin leaned back in her chair and sighed, thinking about her next step. Finally, she decided. It wasn't too early to send a letter, was it? Pulling out a sheet of parchment, she began to compose a formal letter.

Heir Prince, she wrote. Always best to stick to titles when communicating. My name is Rita Skeeter. I am a journalist for the Daily Prophet. Introductions were first, of course. The boy needed to know who she was. I am currently putting together an article on a certain someone and I believe you will have valuable information on the matter. Would you be willing to agree to an interview with me? Making her intentions clear was essential. I believe this article would be mutually beneficial for us, as I have a feeling we both harbor a passionate dislike for her. Finally, add the incentive.

She read the short letter over again before nodding in satisfaction and signing it. She then sealed it in an envelope with acid green wax seal and gave it to her carrier owl, Focar, who had a perch in her office. "Take this to Harrison Prince," she instructed before opening the window.

Focar flew off into the newly lit sky and Rita sighed before returning to her research. She'd have to wait for the answer to start writing the article. What Heir Prince had to say could change everything.

It was only an hour later when Focar returned with a letter attached to his leg. He hooted and held out his leg for Rita to take the letter, which she did while fondly petting his feathers.

She cracked the emerald green seal and pulled out the contents of the envelope before beginning to read.

Miss Skeeter,

I must admit that your offer intrigued me. While I am new to the magical community, and I'm not sure how I would be much help in any article, I am interested in your proposition. It will have to be before I go back to school, as I do not believe you will be allowed on the grounds. If you are available, I am free to meet for the interview today at your earliest convenience. I have included my address. Please owl me at least 30 minutes before your arrival.

Sincerely, Harrison J. Prince

Rita cast the tempus charm and learned that it was already eight in the morning. She had been up all night! She sent Focar off with a response that said she'd be there at eleven for tea.

She grabbed her files and organized everything in her purse before flooing to her flat to make herself presentable for the interview.

∆_______________∆

Rita looked up at the house with well-concealed shock. The Heir of the House of Prince lived in a muggle neighborhood? Luckily, her Slytherin side helped her to hide her emotions behind a polite mask as she stepped up to the door and knocked.

The door opened to reveal a boy that Rita assumed was Heir Prince. "Miss Skeeter, come in," he said.

"Thank you, Heir Prince," Rita said as she stepped inside.

He shut the door behind her and took her cloak before leading her to the sitting room and pouring tea. After they both had a cup, he asked, "So, what is it you believe I can do for you, Miss Skeeter?"

"Lily Evans," Rita said, noticing how Heir Prince stiffened minutely at the name.

His eyes narrowed slightly. "Alex's mum?" he said casually, as though the name didn't bother him at all, despite the subtle changes in his posture and tone that said otherwise. "What about her?"

Rita took a deep breath. This was the crucial moment. "I want to write an article about her," she said, "exposing all her lies and dirty secrets."

Heir Prince's eyes glimmered with excitement, but no further expression was shown as he set down his teacup. "And you believe that I will assist you with this," he said.

"I am counting on it," she said. "I am aware of Evans's infidelities and her awful superiority complex that people somehow continue to miss, but I have no way to prove it. Or, I didn't."

"And now you believe you do."

"I saw the interaction in Flourish and Blotts," Rita admitted. "There must be some reason she harbors that level of animosity towards you. I couldn't find anything wrong on your end, so it must be on her end."

Heir Prince visibly hesitated, which gave Rita the cue that she was on the right track. "I won't say a word without speaking to Alex, James, and my father," he finally decided. "This isn't something that should be shared without their permission."

Rita was practically vibrating in excitement. Whatever the issue was, it was big. She waited patiently as Heir Prince left the room, pulling out a communication mirror as he went.

When he reentered the room, she waited with baited breath for his answer. "I have received full permission to share what I deem appropriate," he said, sounding as if he was repeating someone else's words.

He went on to tell Rita a story that she found she wouldn't have to spin at all! It already painted Evans in a terrible light. After all, in the magical world, children were most precious. To abandon or harm one was a big deal and Evans would get a lot of backlash from her actions.

After he had finished his tale, Rita asked a few questions for the article. "Who is your father?" she asked last.

"I will not be sharing that, as we both agreed to keep it to ourselves and close friends for now."

Slightly disappointed, but still riding high on a feeling of elation, Rita nodded. "Understandable," she said. "I will ensure that you receive a copy of the article when it is published."

"Thank you, Miss Skeeter. I will look forward to reading your article and, perhaps, working together in the future."

Rita bid him farewell and left back to her office to start checking the facts behind Heir Prince's story. If it was true, this would ruin Evans, and she delighted in the triumphant feeling that came with that knowledge.

With one last grin, Rita set to work.