4

[ Y/n ]

Thunder rumbles loudly outside, followed by the crack of lightning. I shuffle under the sheets. The front door creaks open down the hall.

I listen for Mike's footsteps. They're heavy and slow. The bedroom door opens slowly and Mike walks in. "Hey... Why're you up?" He ruffles his hair.

"The thunder. How was work?" I sit up, rubbing my face. Mike sits down on the edge of the bed. "Hey, Abby wants to take your vest in for show and tell."

"Which one, this one? I think this is the only vest I own."

"Can she take it?" He shifts over to lay his head in my lap. My fingers twist and play with his hair. "She can have it. I just need it back."

"Yeah of course."

Mike starts to snore softly. "Hey. You need to change." I look down at him. Mike opens his eyes to look at me. "I don't want to change."

"You haven't even taken your shoes off. Get your shoes off." He groans, sitting up. I help him undress down to his boxers.

"A cop came by..." He mentions as he crawls under the covers. "A cop? Why?" I start running my fingers through his hair again.

"She... I don't know... Wanted to check in on me or something." He leans into my hand some.

"That's odd. Why would you need someone to check up on you?" I watch as his chest rises and falls. The clock reads 6:45. I need to get out of bed to wake Abby up soon.

"I love you. I'm going to make Abby breakfast." Mike hums but doesn't seem like he has the energy to talk anymore.

I kiss his forehead softly then climb out of bed. The rain continues to patter on the windows, coming down in heavy sheets.

I shut the bedroom door and make my way into the kitchen. Abby has been absolutely loving these little yogurt cups in the morning. I open the fridge to grab her a yogurt.

The box is empty. Completely empty. "You've got to be kidding me." I grab the box out of the fridge, shoving it into the garbage.

We have cheese sticks. I grab one of those then shut the fridge. I can't believe I didn't realize we were out of yogurt.

She's been doing so well in the mornings. Getting ready and not having any issues. I just hope this isn't going to throw that off. It's just yogurt.

I put the poptarts into the toaster then leave them to go wake Abby up. "Abby." I whisper as I crack her door open. She rubs her eyes, looking over at me.

"Is Mike home?" She mumbles.

"He's home. He's sleeping in his bed right now. We ran out of yogurt so you have to have something else." I brush her hair out of her face.

"I want the yogurt." Abby stands up and walks past me to the kitchen. I race in front of her to grab the poptarts from the toaster before she tries to.

"What's this?" She grabs the cheese stick. "It's a cheese stick. Do you want it?" I put the poptarts onto a plate that she takes from me. "Do you want the cheese stick?"