7

[ Y/n ]

"This... Is where you work?" I murmur, looking at the rundown building. Mike nods then rest his arm on the back of my chair. He turns to talk to Abby, "You're going to sleep. That's it. Just sleep. Ok? And you're just going to lay down and rest."

I nod and Abby gives him a yes. My stomach cramps up again, sweat dampens my face. Mike presses the back of his hand against my forehead. "You're burning up... Come on." We all get out of the car.

My legs feel weak and shaky. I wasn't feeling sick at all until I woke up this morning. My hands are ice cold. I can feel the sick aura following me around.

Mike unlocks a small padlock then pulls the gate to the side to let us in. This place is totally creepy. If I didn't feel like I was going to die I would never walk in here.

There's broken glass along the ground. I pull Abby closer to me, away from the glass. "You're sick." She takes a step back away from me.

"Alright, come on." Mike opens the front door for us. I'm hesitant to walk in. The air is musty and the building is dark. Shadows loom all around.

"Watch your step." The door shuts behind us. Abby reaches out for my hand. It's clammy from fear and being sick but she doesn't seem to care.

"This way." Mike leads us through the building to his office. Glass crunches under our shoes. My heart pounds in my ears.

"Y/n, sit down." Mike pulls out the chair from the desk for me. The chair squeaks when I sit down. For some reason I hope the squeak wasn't as loud as I think it was... I hope it wasn't loud enough to draw attention to us.

Chills run over my body. I pull my knees to my chest as my body begins to tremble. Mike helps Abby set up her small sleep area. I feel too exhausted to take my eyes off of them.

"Get tucked in. Y/n, just give me a second babe. You ok?" He runs his hand over my hair. "It's fine." I whisper back. My body shakes uncontrollably but I'm sweating all over.

"Alright." He lays down a small pad then rests a sleeping bag on top of it. I immediately leave the seat and climb inside looking for more warmth. "Don't forget your pillow." Mike passes me a pillow.

My head is at Abby's feet. My feet face the door. "Do you need anything else? You have soup packed, remember?" I shake my head. The idea of eating makes me feel nauseous.

"Ok... Well, try to sleep. I'll be here." The last thing I feel safe doing here is falling asleep. My body doesn't agree. I try to fight off sleep for as long as I can.

I don't want to sleep.

Not here.

"Y/n."

I turn to the voice. Where am I? I can't make out my surroundings. It feels so familiar but I just can't place it. "Y/n, it's me."

"Who? Who is it?" I search around for the source of the voice. "You don't remember me anymore?" My heart pounds in my chest. "Garrett?" I whisper, unable to bring myself to fully believe what I'm hearing.

I knew Garrett. He was sweet and curious and always wanted to be included. I don't remember much more about him. Some memories I have of him sometimes float around in my mind but they're quickly swept away in my train of thought.