Face The Music

The IPL ended with Mumbai Indians winning the cup for the time. Nothing really worth mentioning happened in these days. We have two people who were trying to live their lives being a realist but the optimism in their hearts never really went away.

Ishan didn't know why he still wondered what would've been their life with each other. What it would be like to go back and retake all the decisions. He was optimistic but not selfish. Most importantly he was learning to adapt to a new normal which existed without any ray of sunshine. Well, Shubman was the one who pulled him out of a rusty isolated state. Yes, it was all initiated by Ishan but he needed a purpose. It was his Shubi.

But at this moment, he couldn't find any purpose. Neither did anyone show him a hint of sunlight in life like Shubman did 3 years back.

As for Shubman, he seemed to enjoy the winter. Because everything else is just too neutral and one thing Shubman knows for sure that neutrality doesn't exist in this cruel world. Just like winter it worries you about the surroundings but allows you to appreciate the moment.

So just like that he continues his life which now seems to revolve just around cricket.

Aaa, Now there is a problem with that Cricket involves Ishan. Of course, he can't kick Ishan out of the team. No, there was no chance. Why would he even do that? In Shubman's head, a lot of voices were just screaming. It was getting too much. Why couldn't there be any perfect solution?..... These are just a minimalistic representation of Shubman's scattered thoughts.

So, when it was time for the England tour of India Shubman was dreading inside. He couldn't dismiss the feeling that he was looking forward to seeing Ishan. More like to observe his behaviour.

On the other hand, Ishan was chanting only one mantra that is DO NOT GIVE IN.

June 2024

Shubman reached Hyderabad for the 1st test a day after the whole team because his sister had fallen ill. The first person he came across was Virat.

"Arreehh,,,, Shubman. How are you? Everything ok with your sister?"

"Yes Bhai, she's fine now."

"OK, go to your room. Aaaa, I think it is 205. Ishan's in there. Take some rest. We'll see you at dinner." Virat left saying this.

Oh no.Oh no.Oh no. There was no way that he could share a room with Ishan. Of course, they were given a room together considering they always shared a room even when the allocation was different. But now. Shubman wasn't sure how to react. But he wasn't going to show Ishan that how fucked up he really was.

"Get ready Shubman Gill. Let's face the music."

When he reached room no. 205. He just stood there. It took a minute for him to realize he didn't have the key and he had to knock.

"You know what? The worst had happened already. How bad it could get?"

So, he did knock. A few seconds later, Ishan had opened the door.

No, Ishan did not look like a movie star. Actually, he looked like a ghost. Breathing Ghost. His hair was messed up. He had bags under his eyes. His skin looked pale. Ishan didn't look like a hero rather he looked like a fallen worrier. For some reason, there was no spark in his eyes.

But who would tell Shubman that it was because of the absence of a certain Panjabi guy?

"Are you going to stand there forever or gonna come inside?"Ishan's voice broke the chain of his uninvited thoughts.

"Umm...yes of course. "

Shubman dragged his luggage into the room and one thing was absolutely not okay. There is a gigantic bed. But only one.