CHAPTER 3

We had all returned from school and were in our rooms. I was busy watching a diy on my laptop. I didn't know what Alex and Allison were busy doing in their rooms. Mum was preparing something sumptuous for dinner and dad wasn't home yet. He was still busy with work at wherever he was, which wasn't even my problem at that time all that mattered to me was watching some diy and YouTube videos. I was so uninterested about school. I hardly read any school book. And I wasn't surprised by my poor result after any exam. I wasn't even bothered about failing an examination. For me it was point to prove to my parents that I was not interested in school. My dad bought Allison an iphone 14 pro max which she requested for if she passed her examination and also bought Alex the latest play station. It didn't move me at all. I didn't mind being called a dullard infact I loved it. Once, my parents blocked me from making use of the house WiFi so that I could avoid the Internet and focus on my studies. I simply borrowed Alex's laptop and promised to give him some candies later. So there was literally nothing that could move me. I had dreamt about owning my own fashion house severally, almost everyday. All I saw when ever I closed my eyes was just a fashion house. Nothing else mattered to me.
We wrote a test today, before the basketball game. After the test, the result was out and as usual I got an 'F'.
I looked back and saw Chloe crying. Chloe is another of my class mate. She was crying when she discovered she got a 'B' I almost got angry. Me with an 'F' i wasn't even shaking. I felt like slapping her. James even though he played basketball, he was always the top of the class. He had an 'A'. I wondered how he managed to pass every exam even when he plays basketball before the exam. I didn't ask him though. They were others who had 'A's' too but I didn't notice them. James didn't even smile. He just got up and quickly went to change for the basketball game. I was wowed. If I get an 'A', I won't rest till I have shown the whole school and all the members of my family. I remembered, once, we were writing a test on a topic which had to do with fashion designing. I knew a lot about fashion designing so I wasn't even bothered about reading. I wasn't a reading type. I was the first person who finished writing that test and when the result came out, it was an 'A'. I shouted with joy and showed everyone. Don't get me wrong. I'm not dull. I simply don't like reading my school books. I only read books about fashion. I don't watch educational videos. I only watched videos about fashion. I based my life on fashion. But people call me dull because I don't pass my school exams.
I quickly put the test paper back in my bag and left for the basketball court.
I jolted back to reality suddenly and smiled. I continued watching the videos on my laptop. I didn't know when I slept off.
It was remaining a year for me to round up my studies in high school. I was very excited. I was not Interested in getting Into college. All that mattered to me was my dream of fashion designing. On Saturday, when I woke up, I immediately took my makeup kit and started practicing what I learnt some days ago. It was a big disaster. I quickly ran to the washroom and cleaned it off. I looked just like a masquerade. Anyways, I said, FAIL means first attempt in learning. I got some more confidence to continue with my dreams.
I was about jumping back on my bed when I looked at the bedside table and saw my phone ringing. It was on vibration so I didn't hear the ringing tone. I looked at the screen and it was Shelley. It was a video call. "Hello Shelley" I said. We began a conversation and talked for a long time.
           I'm 18 years old most people say that I'm smaller than my age. I don't actually know. Maybe that's the reason why dad and the rest of my family members call me baby Aliya. Alex even looks older than me. I don't actually give a damn. Alex is 16 while Allison is 22 years old.
Dad came home late today. He came home very happy and we were all wondering what happened. He said he won a billion dollars contract. Mum screamed the most. Because she wasn't working. Everyone was happy. We all celebrated with drinks and ate. We had lots of fun. After a long while, after partying, We had a discussion with dad. Dad told us that we will be going for a summer vacation In Dubai UAE.  So we could shop and do some other things too. Everyone was excited and expected the day soon most especially me. I hoped for this kind of day to come so I could purchase some items I need for my fashion designing. Dad said that we will spend a week in Dubai before coming back. We could visit some other places of our wish during the one week interval. We ended the day happily. We all retired to our rooms to sleep. I went to my room but couldn't sleep. I was just too excited to close my eyes. It was an amazing night and as a meter of fact the most amazing night of my life. It was midnight and I could not still sleep even after trying so hard so I decided to go to dad's room to have one last discussion for the day. I didn't realize that it was late and I shouldn't be disturbing someone at that time. Besides dad had had a long day. I got to his room, I didn't knock I barged in and immediately dad hid something under his table. He was sitting on the chair in his room and writing somethings on a paper which looked like a legal document or an office file. I didn't know.
    I was shocked. "Why did you hide the paper?" I asked him." I didn't hide it" he said confusingly. I was worried. "Why are you still awake at this time?" He asked stammering. "I only came to see you" I replied and left the room. I locked the door slightly and started eavesdropping and peeping. I wanted to hear if he was going to say something that may explain what happened. He only said " it's for the betterment of the family. Stacey doesn't have any job so it's better I do this now before anything bad happens. I'm not trying to hide anything from anyone. I just don't want anyone uncomfortable. I thought she went to bed." He finally sighed heavily, finished what he was doing before I entered and went to bed. I patiently continued to watch every move he made until he went to bed.
         "What was he talking about" I asked my self. He said Stacey. 'Mum' what does mum have to do with this?" I asked my self again. I left for my room and  sighed deeply as I jumped on my bed and slept off.