Chapter 1 Old wounds

Walking out the airport the incessant trivial talks of the passengers hit my ears

Walking out the airport the incessant trivial talks of the passengers hit my ears. I looked around to find a sea of people scattered in the arrivals and departures with an ambivalent cloud above them. It's the symphony of a moment to stand still and watch as the sea flows through you.

Observing these travelers my eyes fell upon two hazel brown familiar orbs. Wearing a white shirt and baggy jeans was my childhood best friend waving at me gleefully. Her eyes twinkled as I smiled back while striding off towards her.

The last time I saw my best friend Paridhi was, ten years ago. Her youthful radiance is now adorned with a genuine, infectious smile. Her Sparkling eyes mirror's curiosity and joy, while her presence exudes a natural, effortless beauty that captivates those around her. She's my best friend and our "Pari".

"Welcome home darling." She exclaimed throwing her arms around me while I stood utterly shocked by the demeanor of my best friend. Getting hugged by the one who rarely held hands was a complete new thing for me to adapt.

"Are you actually Pari? Where's my Pari who used to frown on being hugged?" I teased her while she flushed out of embarrassment.

"Oh come on Prisha it's been ten years now, at least stop pulling my legs now. Will you?" Paridhi said giving me a done look.

"Well well if you say so my lady." I said playfully, leaving her behind while she had no other options than running behind me to keep up with my pace.

Seeing the Range Rover parked outside I couldn't stop myself from taking the lead to drive back home. Oh sorry, not home but to the resort where my family was invited by Riddhima's family. It is Radhi's elder sister's wedding and our family being really close had no other options than coming. My family didn't want to disappoint either of us, so they called me directly to the resort.

Without wasting time I started driving to the outskirts of the city where the resort was located while Paridhi kept munching chips, packets after packets until we reached our destination. I wondered how she was always so carefree, anyways keeping aside my pool of thoughts I stepped out of the car only to be welcomed by my whole family accompanied by Radhika. The elders stood with plates of garlands, lighted diya's, turmeric, vermilion, and sweets. It felt like I was Lord Rama returning from exile after years. I did return after years but so much preparation looked like a waste of time to me.

The fifteen years old Prisha would have surely loved a welcome as grand as this but the present me couldn't help but be bored. These things didn't impress me anymore but as much as I was bored I didn't want to hurt them either. They really took a lot of pain to prepare so much and I felt indebted to them to at least return them a smile.

I smiled. I smiled as I had been for the last ten years hoping that from today onwards I won't have to force a smile but that today never came. This ten years I toiled day and night to keep my mind busy but when today I finally planned on getting some rest, I was drowning again. I was drowning back in the sea of anxiety and depression.