Chapter Four

I could go on and on about the topics in this chapter. Gosh.

I hope you like it and remember to vomment and fan :)

-BB

••••••••••••

Chapter 4

Time had flown by. Hamish was eight now, in his third year of primary school.

Unfortunately for our son, he had developed my social skills, which were lacking. He never asked to invite any friends over, which I had heard was common.

When John forced me to come to parent orientation tonight, all the other little boys and girls were running around and yelling to each other. Hamish stayed by our side, staring intensely at certain people (he had developed minor deduction skills). At other times, he stared intensely at the floor. Occasionally he would look at the other playing boys and girls sadly.

John could see this too.

He bent down to be eye-level with Hamish. "Why don't you go and play with the other kids, Hamish?" He asked.

"The other kids don't like me very much," Hamish focused his eyes on the patch of grass he was digging up with his shoe.

"Why would that be so?" John looked at Hamish, his eyes full of pity.

"They think I'm different, how I can see more things than they can," Hamish mumbled, still looking down at his feet. Maybe I had underestimated how much of my deduction skills Hamish had acquired.

"They're probably just jealous of your brain," John tried to comfort him.

"Maybe," Hamish shrugged. Then his shoulders fell again. He looked up, his eyes glossed over. His lip quavered as he spoke, "But they make fun of me too. They laugh at me because I don't have a mum, because I have two dads. They won't sit with me during lunch."

A tear fell down his face. John wiped it away with his thumb.

"Do you wan to go home, Hamish? We can always do this next year," John suggested and Hamish nodded.

****

Back in our flat, we had a talk with Hamish.

"Hamish, there are a few things I think you should know," John started.

Hamish looked up questioning.

"Daddy and I love each other very much, but we aren't like the majority of people, as you might have guessed. Most boys like girls, but there is nothing wrong about a girl liking a girl or a boy liking a boy, as in our situation. Some people even like boys and girls," John said.

Hamish nodded, but still looked confused. "If there's nothing wrong with it, then why do people make fun of our family?"

"Well this is where it gets a bit complicated. Some people think that girls shouldn't be allowed to like girls and boys shouldn't like boys. There are still too many places where these kinds of coupled aren't allowed to get married," John explained.

"Well, that's not fair. Love is love," Hamish, sounded angry.

"I'm glad that you understand that Hamish, but don't get mad. There are people that support the rights of people like your dad and I. We're just thankful that we live in a place we are allowed to get married. The bottom line is that just because we are both men, doesn't mean we love each other any less," John nodded finally.

"Just how much do you love Daddy?" Hamish asked, sinking into the couch.

"Oh, God, Hamish, I love Daddy to infinity," John smiled over at me.