Chapter Fourteen

Chapter 14

"I'm a fake."

"Sherlock-"

"The newspapers were right all along. I want you to tell Lestrade, I want you to tell Mrs. Hudson and Molly. In fact, tell anyone who will listen to you. That I created Moriarty for my own purposes."

"Okay, shut up, Sherlock. Shut up. The first time we met-the first time we met-you knew all about my sister, right?"

"Nobody could be that clever."

"You could."

"I researched you. Before we met I discovered everything that I could to impress you. It's a trick. Its just a magic trick."

"No. Alright, stop it now."

"No, stay exactly where you are. Don't move."

"Alright."

"Keep your eyes fixed on me. Please, will you do this for me?"

"Do what?"

"This phone call, it's... it's my note. That's what people do, don't they? Leave a note."

"Leave a note when?"

"Goodbye, John."

"No. Don't-"

/A falling sensation/

I woke up, startled.

I hadn't had that nightmare in years. I thought it was gone.

Apparently not.

I turned to see John sleeping peacefully next to me. If I had him now, why was I still traumatized by that one day?

I could take a few hundred guesses, actually.

It was one day that impacted the rest of my life.

It was the one day that took me away from John for such a long time.

It was that one day that almost got John killed because Moran didn't like that his companion was dead.

It was that one day that hurt him for so long. I hadn't meant to make him feel the ways he had described to me. I had tried to warn him. /It's a trick it's just a magic trick./ everything before that had been in the past tense. I was trying to tell him, but it didn't work.

I hunched over and held my head in my hands. I realized how much I had been sweating; my hair was damp.

"Mmm," John groaned next to me, "Sherlock."

I wasn't sure if he was awake or just having a dream.

I whispered, "John?"

"Why are you awake? Are you alright?" he replied, making me realize that he had woken up.

He rolled over to face me.

"What's going on?" he asked, worried.

"I just had a dream," I said.

"You have never woken up like that from a dream before," he said.

"No, but this wasn't a pleasant dream."

"Do you want to talk about it?"

"No, you already know about it," I muttered.

"Sherlock, you didn't dream about your fake suicide again, did you?"

I just looked at him.

"That was in the past. It's time to forget...and go to sleep," he yawned and he reached up and pulled me down to a lying position. He scooted towards me and wrapped his arms around me. "Do you think you can do that now?"