Chapter Five

So this skips over quite a few years. Sorry I haven't posted in so long. It's crazy and I apologize, but my break is next week and I might get to write whilst having fun at Harry Potter World in Universal and Disney!

Vomment, fan and spread the word. Also, check out my profile, cause I added the goals that I have for amount of reads I'd like to get on each of my stories.

-BB

••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Chapter 5

John was out. He had to get a job so we could keep supporting this small family.

Hamish was almost 14 years old. He was in year eight now, and my how the years had gone by. He still had no friends. Usually he didn't seem to mind, but I knew he did. I was the same way when I was young. I masked my loneliness behind a book or a magnifying glass.

I was reading at home. There hadn't been a case in weeks, but with Hamish to take care of, I didn't need one.

The phone rang. I looked around the apartment for John, only to remember that he was working. I sighed and crossed the sitting room to answer the phone.

"Sherlock Holmes," I answered.

"Hello, this Headmaster Kingston. Your son, Hamish goes to our prestigious school," a man's voice said at the other end of the phone.

"I'm aware, I paid to send him there," I reminded them.

"Right," said the headmaster, unimpressed. "Mr. Holmes, are you wondering why I called?"

"I assume you're going to tell me."

"The amount of respect shown towards-" the headmaster said, agitated before I cut him off.

"Yes, not interested. Moving on."

I heard the man on the other end draw in a breath, trying to control his temper.

"I need you to come an pick up Hamish, Mr. Holmes," the Headmaster finally said.

I suddenly got worried. Had Hamish done something bad? Was he hurt?

"Is Hamish okay?" I asked.

"He's fine. He's just feeling ill. He'll be waiting in the Nurse's Room until you can come and get him," the Headmaster said, then hung up the phone without another word.

I rushed to pull on my jacket and left the flat immediately.

Flagging down a cab was easy, but I was nervous. The last time Hamish had gotten sick was years ago and he had seemed perfectly healthy this morning. There was something else going on.

The cab pulled in front of Hamish's school and I walked up the front steps.

There was a girl sitting on the top step and she stopped me.

"You're Sherlock Holmes," she recognized me. "My mum told me about you."

She had dark hair, a thin face, and bright blue eyes, reminding me distinctly of a certain...Woman.

"My name's Sally Adler," she introduced herself, holding out her hand for me to shake. "Thanks for helping my mum. We had to live in America for a long while, but she thought it was safe for us to come back now."

"I wasn't aware that Irene had a child," I said, coldly. I didn't mean to sound that way. I was just shocked. I hadn't been expecting this and I was caught off-guard.

"Well, of course I have a biological father, but my step-mother is the person that's around the most," Sally spilled. So Irene had married a woman. Alright.