Chapter Thirteen

So I know this chapter is really short, but the other chapters were longer than I was planning on making them, so I guess it all balances out in the end.

I hope you enjoy reading!

Vomment and Fan!

~BB

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 13

"Two bowls of ice cream?" the waiter asked us.

"No, one bowl of ice cream," John corrected her, "two spoons."

"Oh, so you're sharing, then?" she realized.

John nodded.

"Well good for you," she smiled.

I rolled my eyes. It had been too long. When would people realize that this wasn't some supernatural happening? Two men or two women could be in a relationship. That was normal now. But people still treated us differently when we went out together and I was bloody sick of it.

I had spent my whole life as an outcast and I wasn't going to continue to be outcasted for the one thing that made me happy.

"Would you just bring us the desert?"

She gave me a strange look before she walked back into the kitchen.

"Sherlock, what's got you bothered now?" John asked me.

"People treat us differently," I muttered.

"What are you talking about? She congratulated us," John looked confused.

"Yes, and the only reason a straight couple would get congratulated was because they were either getting married or pregnant. They're just happy that we're brave enough to be together."

"Yeah, but at least they're happy, Sherlock. Not everyone is like that," John reminded me.

"I just want to be normal in one aspect of my life," I sighed, looking down at the table.

"Why? Normal is boring," I heard John say quietly.

I looked up to see his smiling face. The wrinkles by his eyes and mouth made him look even more content.

John had always been the definition of perfect to me, whether he had lines on his face or not.

"I love you," I told him.

"Me too, Sherlock" John smiled wider.

Our ice cream came with two spoons.

"Number eight," John said.

I sighed. Crossing another number off the list just meant that I was that much closer to being able to die.

John was already eating. I felt his eyes looking at me.

I wasn't hungry, but I picked up the cold metal spoon off the table. I liked Ice Cream. I remember sometimes I used to watch crap telly with a carton of ice cream and I let myself get a brain freeze because it made me think better.

I let John eat most of it. He liked it more than I did and like I said, I wasn't hungry.

After that we went back to the flat. We were planning on having a nice quiet night, but then our front doorbell rang.

"I'll go see who that is," John offered.

I couldn't hear anything that was being said downstairs, but moments later, I heard footsteps pounding up the stairs.

Hamish saw me and rushed over to hug me. "Dad!" he exclaimed, "How are you doing?"

"I'm doing alright Hamish, Arthur," I nodded at Hamish's husband. Then I noticed the pink bundle he was holding.

"Hello, Mr. Holmes," he smiled brightly. "It's a pleasure to see you. This is Piper."

I took a look at my baby granddaughter. She had blonde fuzz on top of her head. I couldn't see her eyes because she was sleeping but I could tell she was going to be beautiful.

Hamish said, "I know we waited a bit long to adopt, but that's okay. And I'm sorry we didn't tell you we were going to adopt at Christmas. We wanted it to be a surprise."

"No, it's okay. She's beautiful," I said.

"Do you want to hold her?" Arthur asked me.

I nodded and he laid her in my arms. I smiled down at the bundle in my arms.

"Piper, I'm your granddad," I whispered to my sleeping granddaughter.

I sat down. I was so overwhelmingly happy because I had been able to see my granddaughter before I passed.

It was something that I didn't know I wanted.

I looked up at Hamish and mouthed the word, "Thank you."