iv. 𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐢 𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐞 @𝐧𝐚𝐬𝐚

Real Life!gina

Real Life!
gina

EVER SINCE SHE WAS LITTLE, Gina loved stars, planets and the universe. Her mother had told her bedtime stories about falling stars and what happens to them. How some of them are forced to live on earth, banned from entering the vast nothingness of the universe ever again. And how others lived and breathed for millions of years and made the darkness light up. But they would too one day end up banned from their home.

Of course at such a young age, Gina could barely comprehend what a star even was. But the possibility of touching one gave her new energy each day. Obviously, she wasn't aware that she couldn't get in close proximity of these objects as she would disintegrate. But even if she knew, she wouldn't care. If touching an actual star would be the last thing she'd do, then so be it and she would die happily.

As she grew older, she learned more and more about space, and felt herself become more fascinated with it each day. So that's how, at age 13, she decided to become an astronaut.
Her parents had laughed. Said she'd change her mind the next week. She didn't.
Her teachers had chuckled. No way she had the guts it takes to go through all that training and money and time. She did.
The boys in her class had mocked her. Said that only boys could become astronauts. She would prove them wrong.
She would prove them all wrong, Gina swore.

And now here she stood. In front of her flying school where she'd been piloting for 998 hours since almost four years ago. Gina didn't even want to know how much money she had spend on this school, but it would all be worth it in the end. She knew that, she was so sure of it.

The flat, beige building next to the tower looked sad, even more than usual. Maybe it was sad, because the next two hours she would spend in the air would be her last. Well, not really, since she wpuld comtinue flying, but 1000 hours piloting had been her goal. Because that's what it takes to get accepted into the NASA Astronaut Program. She was one step closer.

As Gina stepped through the door, the smell of coffee filled her nose. “Hi, Molly!” She greeted the woman behind the register.
“Oh, hi!” Molly typed Gina's name into her computer to note her arrival, then she gasped as she saw her flight hours. “Oh my gosh! Has it really been that long already? It feels like yesterday when you came in here looking all lost.”
Gina laughed.
“Yeah, me too. I was a lost girl with a dream and now I'm almost there!”
“Ugh! I really, really hope you get that spot. You deserve it, honey!”
Blushing, Gina replied, “thanks.”