Chapter 6: The Town

Outside, as requested, the carriage is in the front parked and waiting for me.

Mr. Bellweather stands near the door with his hand out to help me up and into the carriage. I take a seat near the window and look outside. A flock of birds fly overhead in the bright sunny sky. I wonder where Parker has run off too. Will he be joining us on this journey into town? He's supposed to be here protecting me, which explains the events from last night. He was there, not on purpose, and saved me from that dark shadow. Having him at my side makes me feel safe and a part of me has to admit that I do like him. He's got this dark, mysterious, bad boy vibe to him. Normally I'm not the bad boy type, well actually I'm not sure what my type is since I've never dated before, but there's something about him that draws me to him.

The front doors to the castle open and I want it to be Parker that walks outside. First Dila and Marie walk out with Staca following shortly behind them. I'm disappointed to see that Parker won't be joining us today. Now I want this shopping trip to be over with so I can return to the castle to find him and talk to him privately.

The ride into town is a quiet one. Marie and Dila talk amongst themselves and Staca mentions a few times how beautiful the land looks today but only smiles are spoken in return. Once we reach the outskirts of town, I see something dark flying overhead that has me a bit startled. I feel danger nearby and wish Parker was here to keep us all safe. Why didn't Kerlin have him come along? Does he really trust us in town without any protection?

Mr. Bellweather parks in the middle of town near a dress shop. Staca and Marie go inside first with Dila and I following behind them. We are greeted by a nice woman with curly red locks of hair. She shakes my hand and welcomes me cheerfully before allowing me to browse her store. "Anything you need Miss please feel free to ask."

I give her a friendly smile and continue to search through the racks of dresses for something that is more my style. I find a few that are silk with less glitter like the one I'm wearing now, then select a few for more formal occasions. Staca mentioned a dinner party with Kerlin's friends from out of town and a ball at the end of the summer that I am required to attend. I'm starting to get used too all these demands and take them less as invitations. Kerlin is so demanding, and I wonder how Parker must feel taking orders from him all day.

"Stellana, we are going in the back to look at shoes. We will meet you at the carriage after." Marie tells me before going to the back with Staca and Dila.

"Okay, I'm going to finish up here then go outside."

Once I'm done shopping I thank Rita, the dress shop owner, then head outside to explore the other stores in town. There's a floral shop, a place that sells home goods and an antique furniture store. Carts full of fruits and vegetables, bread, and another selling jewelry stand at the edge of the walkway. I stop at the one selling fruit and reach for a fresh apple. My stomach rumbles and I regret not eating more this morning for breakfast.

I lift the apple up to my mouth and press the fruit against my lips to take a bite. The cart owner looks my way, and he doesn't seem happy. He walks up to me, smacks the apple out of my hand and watches it fall into the sand near his feet.

"You eat apples, you pay little girl."

"I'm sorry." I tell him, but he doesn't listen. "I'll go inside and—"

"You lose your hand if you dare to steal from me."

"I wasn't trying too—" he grabs ahold of my wrist and slams my hand down on a wooden board. I notice the hundred of cut marks dug into the wood. I look at him afraid of what he is going to do to me and in his hand is a huge knife. I close my eyes and feel sick to my stomach knowing he is about to chop my hand off. I try to pull my wrist out of his grip, but he's too strong.