Chapter 11: Dinner

Down the stairs I walk with my head held down.

The castle is quiet except for the small echoes that come from the hall leading toward the kitchen. The cooks prepare for dinner and the smell of food creeps into the foyer. Soon I will be joining my family at the dinner table. Something I've done almost every night since arriving at Lindo.

"Miss Camden." Sirena stops in her tracks as I walk down the steps toward her. "You aren't dressed for dinner."

"What's wrong with what I'm wearing?" The short yellow dress I choose to wear today is a bit much even for me. To say it's not suitable for a dinner with my family sees a bit farfetched. All I'm doing is eating a meal. No one will see me but them.

Her nose wrinkles at the end and she shakes her head. "Please miss, back to your room."

Inside my room she dresses me like I'm one of her dolls. After a few outfit changes I decide on the short pink one I bought from town. It lays down me like a soft, light feather against my skin. I slip on my white slippers and spin around the room. I begin to feel dizzy and stop. In the mirror I admire myself and the way I look. I fiddle with the ends of my hair, twirling and spinning it around with my fingers. I'm not the same Stellana Marie Camden that arrived only a few short days ago. I am turning into someone I don't even recognize.

"Stellana," Sirena speaks, pulling me from my daydream. "We must go join your family now."

In the dining room, around the table, my family sits. Steam arises off their plates. Cups full of tea and wine almost spill over the edges. Kerlin is at the head of the table wearing a black suit with white ruffles at the collar. Sirena and my cousins match in their yellow gowns. No wonder Sirena made me change. She was worried I'd match them and steal their thunder.

"Miss Camden," He stands up to speak. "How pleased we are for you to be joining us tonight. Please, sit."

I do as he says and take a seat near the head of the table next to Staca. Oddly I notice that my plate isn't as full as theirs and my cup is empty. I lift it to look inside and am greeted by the bottom of the glass.

"We have asked a dear friend of ours to come a long way to stay in the castle. Mrs. Brooks is a well-known woman in the area that teaches young girls such as yourself how to be a proper lady. Once Mrs. Brooks arrives you will be doing lessons with her. You will take this seriously Miss Camden. Staca and I expect a lot from you during your stay here. This is just a small piece of what is to come."

"And if I don't agree—" I ask, and he stays quiet. "Since I am to leave after the war, won't it be silly to teach me these things?"

"Nothing is silly Miss Camden. The war could go on for decades. It's important for you to act a certain way while you are here. Dila and Marie have both attended these lessons and I think it will do you some good. Perhaps it will surprise you."

"Okay," I take a bite out of my dinner. "I'll do it only if I still get to keep a piece of myself."

Kerlin looks at Staca puzzled. "What is your request Miss Camden?"

"I get full access to any information here I want." He can't hold back the secret about Parker for long. I will find out about this cure and why I am so important in saving him.

"What information are you seeking?"

"There's a book." Kerlin's eyebrows furrow.

"What kind of book?"

"You gave it to Parker Stone. The book of curses. I want it."

"That is something you must speak to Mr. Stone about. I gave it to him for his own personal use."

"I know." I tell him and he doesn't seem pleased that I know this bit of information. "That is why I want it. Order him to give it to me."

"Order him." Kerlin laughs, as much as I've ever heard him laugh. He then stands for the table and waves his right hand in the air. In steps Sirena and she stands beside Kerlin. Her hands open and he places a small metal instrument into the palm of her hand.

"I'm afraid you are mistaken Miss Camden. I do not order Mr. Stone to give up things that belong to him. Your lessons will begin shortly. In order to make you a lady I am also forbidding these little adventures of yours. There will be no more wandering about or causing mischief. Do you understand Miss Camden?"

"No!" How dare he take this from me. This is about compromise, and he isn't bargaining with me. I stand from the chair. "You will not lock me in my room. This is my home, and I will walk will I seek fit."

Parker steps into the room and Kerlin's face expression relaxes. Our eyes meet and I hold in my breath. What other tricks does Kerlin have up his sleeves? Parker walks up to his chair and bends down while he whispers something in his ear. When parker stands his facial expression is cold.

"This discussion is done Miss Camden." Kerlin waves me away like I am a burden to his life. I grab my plate of food and storm out of the room. He can shun me to my room but that doesn't mean this is over. I won't obey him. He isn't my father.