Chapter 16: Book

Parker falls sleep in the chair next to the window. He looks so peaceful with his eyes closed. The sound of him snoring echoes off the cement walls. In his lap lies the book of curses. I reach down and grip the binding. Slowly I pull it out from under his arm, careful not to wake him.

When it's out of his grip and in my arms, I sigh out. Taking a step back I use the light of the moon to read the pages. The first page is about sleeping beauty and how she was cursed by the evil Maleficent. She was saved by true loves first kiss. Then snow white, who ate a poison apple after a witch gave it to her. She too was saved by a prince. None of it makes sense. What does any of it have to do with saving Parker?

He wasn't cursed by a witch, and he didn't eat any poison apples.

As I turn the page a word catches my eye- The Gifting. I read quickly and the words appear on the page at my pace. When a royal at age fifteen is given a sacrifice in order to become a princess before taking the throne as queen. Staca said I'm almost to age of gifting, but I'm no princess. At age fifteen, a queen must hand down the crown to the princess that succeeds in the sacrifice. If the first royal denies the crown then the second in line must take lead or the crown will be given to someone outside of the royal family.

Just like Parker said, the land of Lindo will be handed off to someone else. Someone outside of the Moral family. Why would he be reading this if none of it entails to him? Dila and Marie must be first in line, but if they are than why did Staca mention the gifting to me? I'm shaking and try to read more about it, but Parker sits up in the chair. I drop the book onto the floor. It makes a loud smack and I dart off toward my bed where I hide under the covers.

"Stell," The sound of his voice calling my name brings me chills. I've been caught. He knows I was just reading the book of curses. "I know you're awake."

"No," I say then bite down on my bottom lip. "I'm still sleeping."

"What do you know?"

I fling the covers off to look at him. He's standing next to my bed with his arms crossed over his chest. His black hair sticks up in all directions still a mess from sleeping in the chair. The candle lights his green eyes and it makes my heart race looking into them. I'm still upset over what happened between us, but I can't let that distract me from trying to save him. After all the times he saved me I owe it to him.

"I don't know anything." I lie and he shakes his head. He can see right through me.

"Stell, please. Don't lie to me."

"Why are you reading a book about princess curses?"

"It has more than that."

"Really, then tell me what you have found that will help save you."

"None of it matters. Don't you see that? No matter what I find I won't be saved."

"Why do you say that? Are you really giving up already?" I reply just as sharp.

He locks his fingers in his hair and walks to the window. His back is facing me while he stands and looks out at the world underneath us. I hate this for him, but if he isn't willing to tell me how am I supposed to help him? He can't give up. Giving up means the possibility of losing him and I'm not willing to give him up. Not for anything in this magical, mythical world.

"Parker," I say and close my eyes. When I open them he is still standing near the window. "I want to help you, but I need to know what I'm looking for. I read something in the book of curses. It talked about becoming a princess. All those girls had to sacrifice something and marry a prince." I expect him to react, but when he doesn't I continue. "Can I ask you something?"

I bite down on my bottom lip. This is going to sound crazy and I'm already starting to doubt it, but I have to follow my instincts and he's the only one I know that will answer truthfully. My cousins probably already know. They will only lie or run to Kerlin and Staca about it. No, Parker is the only one I can talk too about this. "Am I a princess?"