Chapter 15: Closer

The glow of the fire reflects off Parker's face. His pale crystal-like skin looks porcelain in the light. I sit up, unfold my legs and crawl over to where he's sitting. He moves over a bit, and I make myself comfortable next to him, scooting in as close as I can. I instantly feel cold against my side and embrace it as it cools the heat from the summer air.

Parker stretches his arm out propping it on the couch behind my head. I fall into him, resting my hands on his chest. I can't imagine being anywhere else, but right here with him. My hand moves up to the collar of his shirt, there my fingers grip ahold of the fabric.

He looks down and our eyes meet.

I have thought about kissing him since the day we met and now I feel it pulling on me like a magnet. He moves his hand from his waist up to my chin where his index finger and thumb grip tightly. I wrap my fingers around his wrist and look deeper into his eyes. His thumb moves over my bottom lip. Here it is. The moment I've been longing for.

After a moment of staring into each other's eyes he moves his arm off the couch and drops it to my waist. He moves his fingers against my bare skin, creating small circles. I wiggle at his cold touch, but don't pull way instead I lean in. Through the fabric of his black shirt I listen to his heart. The beat matches mine. He's a human too. Does this mean he was a human before the curse? Maybe the curse is what made him what he is today.

He moves his hand from my face and uses his thumb to turn the page. I watch the words on the page slowly appear. They move at his pace as he reads each word. Near the top it tells about the dark curse. I run my fingers over the leather and grip the edge. When parker turns the page again there is a picture of a dark shadow monster with eyes beaming red.

"This is Rosark."

"Oh, is he cursed too?" I ask him while looking more closely at the photo.

"No, but he has the ability to curse others."

"Did he curse you?"

"Yes," He speaks with fear in his tone. "He did."

"Do you think he will curse me?"

"He could."

"He hasn't yet." I inform him and sit up straight in his arms. Maybe Rosark is just waiting for the right moment. After all I have seen him a few times and although he tried to hurt me he has never dared to curse me.

"He has to kill first."

"Oh," I feel all the color flush from my face. "He killed someone before he cursed you?" Parker doesn't look away from the book. His green eyes are full of emotion, sadness, and defeat. I can't imagine how scared he must feel knowing someone lost their life and in a way he lost his too. I grab his hand and give it a squeeze. "Who did he kill?"

"My mom."

"He killed your—"

"I told you Stell, I'm alone here."

"You're not alone." I look up at him. "You have me."

The corner of his mouth lifts as he smirks. He closes the book of curses and sets it down on the floor beside him. Tiny flutters of excitement move through my heart. I never thought I'd feel this way toward him. As my protector, I knew I'd have him by my side, but I never imagined falling for him.

Just when I think he is going to make a move he sits up and drops his arms from around me. I jump up off the floor and walk over to one of the bookshelves in search for a new book. In front of me is a variety of books with different colored bindings. All sit side by side on the giant shelf that wraps around the room. I reach up and grab a book I find interesting to read and as I set it in my arms Parker walks up behind me. His arms wrap around my waist. I turn around and rest my hands on his shoulders. He lifts me up off the floor, my feet dangle beneath me. I lean into him, and our foreheads touch. A smile envelops his face. Here I was thinking he didn't want me, and I was wrong, so completely wrong.

As he sets me back down I keep my eyes locked in his. His black hair falls in his face, and I lean up on my toes to brush it back. I move my hand from his face to the back of his neck, there I brush my fingers through his long hair. He leans down and his face is so close to mine that the warmth of his breath caresses my lips. I lick them, craving for a taste of him. While I stare into his eyes he leans over me and cups my face in his hands. I can't move. My whole body is numb to his touch.

I hold in a breath, filling my lungs with air. He leans in to kiss but stops inches from my lips.

"I'm sorry." He leans back and drops his hands to the side. "I can't do this."

"Why not?"

"Because—"

"That's not a good enough reason. I need to know." I refuse to let him get away with this. Inside my chest I feel a sword stabbing over and over again as it pierces through my heart. Tears well up in my eyes and I know at any moment I am going to lose it.

"You are just going to have to live with it. That's the only reason I have."

"How dare you." I turn and make a run for the door.

Out in the hall I drop my back against the wall and cover my mouth with my hand as the tears come flowing down my cheeks. I wait for Parker to come running after me and when he doesn't show I continue down the hall toward my bedroom.

Inside a small candle is lit propped in its holder next to my bed. It's like it's been there this whole time just waiting for me. An orange glow lights up the room. I walk up to the window and see the night sky has taken over. I drop the book from the library down on the windowsill. More tears fall down my cheeks, soaking the sleeves of my dress.

The door opens all the way and Parker walks in. "I'm sorry." He approaches me with his hands out begging for forgiveness. I hold mine out to stop him and shake my head. I won't let him hurt me twice.

After a moment I walk past him and go into the bathroom, slamming the door behind me. The loud bang is enough to wake the whole castle, but I don't care. I'm hurt. Parker doesn't feel the same way about me that I do him.

Not having an excuse only makes the sword in my chest dig deeper into my heart. I slide down the door, bury my face in my hands and let the tears consume me. All my fourteen years of life, I have never felt so broken. These feelings are confusing, but I know one thing is true and that is I love Parker Stone. He started off as someone that was there protecting me and slowly, between all of that I fell for him. I barely know him, yet whenever I'm next to him I feel a sense of comfort. I feel at home.