Chapter 7: The Garden

Time doesn't exist in Lindo.

They believe that it is an illusion that does not correspond to their reality. Over the centuries this world has ultimately been timeless. To someone like me, who has had their whole life drawn out for them, color coded even, I find it pretty bizarre. To not have any rules or timed schedules and to be free to do pretty much anything you want is a world I'm not familiar with. I look around and remind myself of where I am and how different things are. There are no clocks on the walls or any form of time here. No one scurries along or slows their pace, they just live.

The only thing that is controlled by a specific time is when they gather around the table to eat their meals or go to bed, but even that is not followed by a hand on a clock. Nature controls the things in their world. They awaken with the sun and sleep by the moon.

I lay on the floor beneath the window in my room and stare up at the low-lying, wispy clouds that float in the sky. I know my time is limited here. Once the war at home is over, I am to return home and reunite with my parents. I decide to make the best of what time I have left and make a list of all the places I want to see. Sirena gave me a map to make my planning easier. The first place I write down is the garden.

I haven't been inside yet, but during the carriage rides out of the castle I caught a small glimpse over the top of the bushes. An ivy-covered archway welcomes you into the garden and flowers of every type and color fill the scene.

Today the sky is clear and blue, and with the sun shining bright it makes the day hotter than yesterday. I change out of my pajamas and into one of the dresses I got from town. It's a light pink color, with short sleeves and diamond beading on the chest. The bottom stops just below my knees. I have never been the type of girl that wore dresses, but here in Lindo with the heat of the sun burning hot I find it quite nice.

I brush the knots out of my hair and tie it back into a ponytail. On my nightstand lies the book I've been reading from back at home. I pick it up then tuck it under my arm.

Downstairs the castle is quiet. I take the hall of the East wing to the back doors. I pass Parker's room and sigh out a breath of relief to see his bedroom door is closed. He's probably with Kerlin in his office going over what happened in town yesterday with Clark the cart owner. I haven't seen Parker since we returned to the castle, but before he ran off, I begged him not to harm Clark. My hand is still intact, and it was just a misunderstanding. Parker didn't agree with me, but he promised to try to talk Kerlin into a less harmful punishment.

I open the door to the back yard. The hinges squeak and I stop moving and hold in my breath. The last thing I want is someone to see me leave the castle alone. They will send for Parker right away, or worse call for Kerlin who will lock me in my room and make it another forbidden thing. Just like he has forbidden me to wander the halls of the castle. Technically the garden isn't inside the castle and what he doesn't know can't hurt him. I wait and see if the coast is clear before stepping out into the valley. A warm summer breeze blows past and brushes lightly against my cheeks. I smile to myself knowing I have made it.

I follow along the stone pathway that leads to the entrance of the garden. Underneath the archway, I stand and admire the beauty within the garden walls. My feet move first, carrying me further inside without any hesitation. High brick walls which are covered with ivy, shut it in. Enchanting and magical, I embrace all the vibrant colors of the flowers. Beds of tulips, lilacs and roses blossom out of the fresh soil.

A fountain of an elephant stands in the center of it all. Water spooling out of its mouth lands into the pool beneath it. A bench seat that sits under a large oak tree makes for the perfect spot to read under the warm summer sun. Branches hang like curtains around it. I part them and step under the tree. There the stone bench waits for me. I take a seat and watch while wild creatures scamper about.