Chapter 10: Letters Home

Scribble marks on the paper cover over the things I wrote. I crinkle up the letter and toss it behind me-adding it to the pile of other failed letters. I grab a new blank sheet and begin to write a letter to my parents. I write their name on the top left-hand corner, Theo and Ivy Camden.

There are so many things I want to ask and tell them that I just sit there and stare out my bedroom window. It's a quiet night with the stars and moon shining upon the top of the trees. I let the words pour out of me and when I reach the bottom, I sign my name before folding the letter in half and then half again until it fits perfectly inside the envelope.

I lick the seal and press down firmly with my index finger until it's shut tight. My chin falls into my hand and the letter lays on the floor in front of me. The light of the moon shines in through the window and glows against the white of the envelope. The floor has become my safe place. Down here no one can bother me, only my thoughts that I scribble out on paper.

Sirena walks in with an arm full of laundry. I sit up just as she walks up to the closet and opens the doors. She grabs a few of the hangers and hangs my dresses on each. When she turns around and sees me, she nearly jumps out of her skin. "Miss Camden, I thought you were downstairs with your cousins."

"No, they went to bed. Parker asked me to stay in here and wait for him. I'm writing a letter to my parents." I grab the envelope off the floor and hold it up to her. "Will you see that it gets mailed to them?"

"Yes Miss," She reaches down to grab the envelope and tucks it into her back pocket. Once she's done hanging my clothes in the closet, she walks out of the room leaving me alone again.

The long silence of the room reminds me how alone I feel. My body trembles underneath me and I open my mouth to scream but nothing comes out. I am angry at my parents for sending me here without them. This wasn't their choice to make. I'd give anything to hug my mother and to see my father's smile. Tears creep down my face and warms my cheeks. I inhale a deep breath and drop my face into my hands. I let myself feel and continue to cry.

Then the click of the door I hold in my breath and listen to who has entered my room. A cold set of hands press against my shoulder, and I hear his gentle voice speak out. "Stell, are you okay?"

I shake my head and keep my face hidden in my hands. I feel embarrassed to be feeling this alone when I am surrounded by family and have Parker. He's the only one here that will understand the pain I'm feeling of missing my parents.

"What's the matter Stell? You can tell me."

"My parents," I whisper out. "I miss them."

I use the back of my sleeve to wipe the tears away. He lowers himself and his face peeks under my arms. His long black hair hangs down over his face and I see his eyes, this time a beautiful hazel color. I have never seen them this way before and wonder if there is purpose behind it. Maybe these are his eyes, before the curse or whatever happened to him. This is Parker Stone, the kind and gentle soul I am learning to know.

"Are you crying?"

"I was."

"Do you want to go somewhere with me?""

"This late at night?"

He chuckles to himself then reaches his hand out for me to grab. "I promise it's not far."

I entwine my fingers in his and he pulls back and helps me to my feet. I leave my hand in his as we walk out into the hall and across, over to the North wing. We pass Dila's room, and the door is shut and no sign of life inside behind the door. There are no maids or butlers waiting around the corner, there's just us.