Chapter 8: The Book

"He was there." Parker says as he closes the door. There's a gap wide enough for me to peek inside Kerlin's office and eavesdrop on their conversation.

"And she was alone..." Kerlin's voice trails off.

"She was," Parker tells him. "But she doesn't know I was close by."

"This can't happen again." Kerlin sits down in his chair and the seat squeaks underneath him. "She must be protected, and this is his second attempt."

Second attempt? Does Kerlin know about the night I snuck out of my room when the shadow figure was lurking outside the castle walls? Maybe Parker tells him everything. I lean in closer to listen more.

"He got close. I didn't think I was going to stop him." The sound of Parker's footsteps as he walks around the room, creating circles on the wooden floor, creeks with every step. I watch as he stops in from of Kerlin's desk and rest his hands on the edge. "I don't know what she was thinking. I made her promise me she won't wander off alone again."

"And do you believe her?" Kerlin asks, pushing his silver framed glasses down to the edge of his nose.

I wait and listen for Parker's response. Does he believe the promise I made to him only moments ago?

"I don't know. I know she wants to explore the castle. Do you think she could if I went with her?"

"Perhaps." I watch as Kerlin thinks over the idea. If bringing Parker along with me while I explore is what it takes, then I will do it. I just wish I knew why this dark figure is so dangerous. And what does he want? "We must stop him, if he gets any closer, he could put a curse on her like he did to you."

Parker sighs and runs his fingers through his hair. He tilts his head back and stares up at the ceiling. For a moment he stays like this before putting his head back down. He grips the edge of the desk, and his knuckles turn white. I imagine his eyes are yellow like they always are anytime he's angry or upset. There's a curse. A curse on Parker?

I hear the sound of a book being slammed down on Kerlin's desk and notice he has stood up and grabbed one off the bookshelf behind him. "This will tell you."

"What is it?" Parker asks him.

"The book of curses." Kerlin clears his throat. "We know what he's done to you, but if you want a way out of this Parker then your answers lie within this book. There is a cure. You don't have to be this way forever."

The room goes quiet, and I hear Parker's breathing quicken, then he says, "I know what will save me. I am just afraid I might be right."

"What is it?"

"Her..."

My heart drops as soon as I realize he's talking about me.

"You think she will save you?"

"Only one way to find out." He tells Kerlin and he slams his fist against the book.

"Don't you dare. She is my niece."

"I know." Parker sighs out. "That's what is stopping me."

Parker takes a seat on one of the chairs in front of Kerlin's desk and reclines back. I can't see his face, but I imagine him with his eyes close and his hand over his face. He thinks whatever this curse is that this shadow monster put on him, that I'm the only one that can save him. Am I? Could I be?

"And if you're wrong? Then what are you going to do? You won't be able to stop this."

"No," Parker says. "But do you really think she is willing to leave everything behind to live here?"

Me, live here in Lindo forever? Would I be willing to leave everything behind to stay here? My friends, my family, the only home I know. I drop my face in my hands and a few tears slip down my cheek. To never see my parents again leaves me heartbroken. I would never.

Kerlin doesn't answer him, instead he sits down in his chair and flips through the first few pages of the book. After a moment he sighs out, shuts the book and pushes it across the desk over to Parker. "Just take it with you. I think it will answer your questions. If not about the curse, then about your father."

"He's dead." Parker replies just as sharp.

"You really believe that?"

"I do."

"You know he won't stay a shadow forever."

Parker lets out a loud laugh. "My father or this evil thing that wants to kill Stell?"

Kerlin stares back at him before saying. "Rosark."

The sound of his name makes my skin crawl. I press my back against the door and close my eyes. So this thing has a name. And he wants to kill me.

Parker stands up from the chair and walks over to the door. I move away quickly before he finds out I have been listening to them this whole time. I sit down on the floor a few doors down the hall and pretend to pick at my nails. "I won't let him hurt her." He tells Kerlin on his way out the door. I notice he's holding the book in his hand. The binding is worn and there is a gold metal emblem on the front. The same one that's engraved on the front door of the castle.

Maybe I was wrong about it meaning protection, it's a symbol for curse.

"Come with me." He tells me and I stand up.

"Where are we going?" I ask him as we walk down the hall toward the foyer. He continues up the stairs ahead of me and I think we are heading back to my room, but he turns in the opposite direction and stops in front of a white door with sparkles all over it. He knocks twice against the door.

"I have to be somewhere." He looks down at the book. I want to go with him and help him save himself. Maybe he's right, I am the one who can save him. "Your cousins will be watching you until I get back. Stay in the castle."

I nod my head and he walks away. The door flies open and on the other side is Dila and Marie in matching pink pajamas.