KABANATA VI.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

Your father being quiet unsettles you more than when he is speaking.

You know that he saw what Goyo did last night. He didn't know what words were exchanged, but he saw. And you hope that he would say anything about it as you sat on the sofa beside your mother, your father across you, reading his newspaper.

You were about to speak, when a servant rushed in.

"Ang Señor Presidente po, Don Alfonso." She says, and on cue, President Aguinaldo enters, and of course, Goyo is with him.

The young general's eyes were on you immediately, and when he spots you already looking at him, he shoots you a smirk.

Your father lifts his eyes from his newspaper, and turns to the President with a beam as he stands up to greet him. He shakes Goyo's hand, nodding at him with a smile.

"Anak," he says. "Samahan mo si Heneral Del Pilar sa hardin."

He turns to you, his smile calming. You're surprised that he isn't mad. Your mother gives you a knowing look that makes you mutter a small 'Mamma!' while she chuckles.

"Sige na, anak. Hahatidan na lamang kayo ni Celia ng merienda." She says, nudging you slightly.

You stood up, setting your embroidery on the small table beside the sofa, smoothing your skirts. Your father tells the President to sit beside him, and you turn to Goyo.

"Tara na." He offers your his arm and you accept it.

When you reach the gardens, you two sat on the bench under a tree, content with the presence of each other, a cool breeze washing over you two.

"Tungkol kagabi..." You broke the silence, looking at him. "Totoo ba ang mga sinabi mo?"

He smiles, he's still so handsome at this angle. He turns to you. "Mas gusto mo bang patunayan ko sa 'yo?" His hand comes up to grasp your chin, and he is so, so close.

You turn away. In all honesty, you believed him. It's just... You didn't think that it'll work out for the both of you because of his situation. He's a general. Which means that he has to go on battles, battles that he can either win or lose. You worry for him.

"Mas maiging kausapin mo ang mga magulang ko, Goyo." You said, not looking at him. But you knew that he's looking at you. "Alam kong alam mo na nakita nila ang ginawa mo kagabi. Hindi ko alam kung anong nararamdaman ni pappa."

His hand moves to yours, making you face him. His thumb brushes over your knuckles, his eyes on yours.

"Gusto kitang ligawan, Y/N. Gusto kong mapasaakin ka. Kung mamarapatin mo." He doesn't break eye contact. "Tatanggapin ko kahit ano pang sabihin o gawin ng iyong ama. Gagawin ko ang lahat para sa 'yo."

"Goyo..."

"Y/N, sa 'yo ko pa lamang naramdaman ang ganito." He almost sounds like he's about to get down on his knees and beg.

You know that he's genuine just by his words. You know that he'll do anything just so you could get together.

But you're scared. You're scared that you might hold him down, because of the situation he is currently in. He's a general, for God's sake. People expects a lot from him. And you, well you're just the daughter of a rich man in the town. People only knew you because of your family's money. Not because of anything.