KABANATA IX.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

The whispers and stories about you and Goyo still haven't ceased. Probably because you two are the most unexpected people to be together.

Or, because they didn't expect that your father would give Goyo his blessing to court you. Almost everyone in town knows that your father has rejected every single one of your suitors, so, it was a great shock to them when they found out that General del Pilar was courting you.

You've heard some of the whispers one day when you and Celia were going around the market. The people saw you, and immediately started whispering to each other.

"Siguro, pumayag lang si Don Alfonso na ligawan ni Heneral del Pilar si señorita Y/N dahil gusto niyang mapalapit sa Presidente..."

"O kaya naman, sadyang pinapaboran lang ni Don Alfonso ang heneral..."

"Baka naman gustong perahan ng heneral ang pamilya Alfonso kaya niligawan niya ang señorita..."

Most of them made you laugh. How ridiculous, you think. That people can make up crazy stories about other people without them knowing.

While you were amused, your mother, on the other hand, was worried. She feared that it might ruin your image. Although, you know that your father wouldn't allow that to happen. People just couldn't help but to intervene in other people's lives. As if they can achieve something from it.

You remained unbothered. Honestly, you didn't care. Because you know if you dare to do something, they would just talk about you more. So you just let them. They'll be bored of it someday.

Today, your mother informed you that the family Lorenzo will be visiting your home. You sighed. Great, you think. You just hoped that Goyo will visit early to save you from any torment from Clara.

When the Lorenzos arrived, you had to endure half an hour interacting with Clara. Luckily, Goyo arrived a little earlier than usual.

"Ang Heneral del Pilar po, señor." A servant walked in with Goyo.

You watched as Goyo greeted your father by shaking his hand, and moved to greet your mother with a kiss on her knuckles. You stand to greet him, wrapping your arms around his torso.

When you pulled away, he tips his hat to Clara's parents, and gives a curt nod to Clara and her sisters. They giggle in response, and you almost rolled your eyes. Good thing that Goyo didn't pay any mind towards them.

"Mamaya na kayo umalis," Your father says. "Maupo ka na muna, heneral." He gestures to the sofa.

You walked towards the sofa, and Goyo follows to sit beside you. You take his hat from him and placed it on the side table. He grabs your hand, and his thumb brushes over your knuckles as he listened to your father and Señor Lorenzo's concersation.

Your mother was sipping tea with Clara's mother, conversing with her as she busied herself with embroidery. Clara and her sisters stares openly at Goyo, giggling amongst themselves when Goyo spares them a glance from time to time.

"Ilang buwan na bang nililigawan ni Heneral del Pilar itong si Y/N?" Clara's father asks, his eyes on the both of you. Clara and her sisters stops whispering to each other, now listening intently.