Sunrise

I don't usually do Tw, but this one i will, it hits too close to home for me to not.

Tw: Abuse.

<36 years ago>

"It's beautiful!" the small boy shouted while looking up to the sunrise, sitting on the dirt below him as the other children in the area looked up with an amazed gaze.

"That it is." Another much taller boy smiled before sitting down next to the other, him being much older and taller than all the others. He often finds himself segregated from the games or the conversations that the others have.

Even in a town full of mutated children, he finds himself being made fun of for the colour of the skin, or his height even, the other kids and some adults often call him disgusting, yet most of them fear him in a way.

Almost everyone except the only friend he has, a loud and amazed younger boy he only knows as Tango, the only boy who will sit with him while they watch the sunrise, the only boy who doesn't look at him with fear in their eyes, and it gives Doc a sense of reason, how someone so bright and so wonderful could ever find themselves in this world.

From only a young age, Doc had an astute sense of life. He knew how in reality this world was dim and disgusting, how the people are foul, and dangerous, and most of all, how his kind was treated, clearly a sense of life the flaming boy had not picked up on, the opposite of Doc, such a positive boy, a boy that had brought the light into Doc's life even if he had thought there would never be one.

"Do you really think so? You never usually like the sunrise." Tango asks, looking up to the small horned man who is sitting next to him.

"I don't understand everyone's fascination with it. I still enjoy it from time to time, especially with you." Doc smiles dimly down to the other, receiving an overjoyed smile in response.

Doc couldn't help but chuckle. Almost anything could make Tango smile, the slightest bit of kindness, and the boy was as bright as the sun, which he supposes is suited for him.

"Well, don't stare too long, or you'll go blind!" Tango giggles, watching as the taller rolls his eyes.

"I'll try my best not to. Your flames seem to have manifested more, by the way." Doc looks to the flame atop Tango's head. It fascinates him. How could Tango's body handle such intense heat? He wishes he knew the science behind it, or maybe it was magic.

"You noticed? nobody else has noticed!" Tango beams up once again, glad someone had noticed the growing of his flames, a tell of a mutated person growing up, which can happen at any age, usually it happens around fifteen, but Tango found himself at nine.

"How could i not notice? Soon enough, you'll be fully manifested and have full control over them." Doc smiles down, the idea of having full control of his flames sending Tango into a fit of excitement.

Tango stands up in front of Doc, giggling to himself. "Yeah! and then, if anyone tries to invade this place, i can beat them up just like this!" He throws his arms out, pretending flames are coming out the front of his arms towards Doc.

Doc puts on a more serious face and slightly pushes Tango's arms away, "Hey Tango, im sure you'd be a great warrior but nobody is coming to invade this place, nobody knows we're here." Doc says, slightly shocked at the fact Tango had never spoken about the idea of this place being invaded before, or any sort of death.

"But, what if they do?" Tango asks quietly. Suddenly, the bright and wonder filled eyes turn to that of worry, like he had just had a nightmare or is worried there's a ghost in his closet.

"Hey hey, you're okay, i promise you nobody will find us." Doc replies softly, bringing Tango into a small hug as the smaller hugs him tightly.

"You double promise?" Tango looks up him weakly, this being a state of vulnerability Doc has never seen, and the idea of it terrifies him, he always thought he could handle any situation, but watching his one and only ever friend plead to him clouds his own mind, all logic is thrown out the window as he realises how much he cares for the boy in his arms, like a younger brother.