Chapter 36

By the time that Monday morning rolled around, Harry felt equal parts scared and relieved that the time for the interviews had finally come. He had woken up at just past four that morning and had been too nervous to go back to sleep but had instead laid awake watching through the magical window in his room as the sky lightened and the sun finally rose.

When he heard Snape moving around in the bedroom across from his, he quickly got up and dressed for the day. Figuring that he ought to make a good impression on the interviewers, Harry decided on a pair of tan slacks that Snape had gotten him and a blue button-down shirt. Harry even tried to comb his hair down though it did little good. When he was as ready as he would be, Harry left his room and headed to the kitchen for breakfast.

For once, Snape wasn't there yet. Harry took his seat but only rested his arms on the top and put his head down on them. He didn't think he could handle anything to eat right now. Not with the way his stomach was churning as if the Giant Squid had taken up residence inside him.

"How about you at least try some toast?" Harry didn't even turn around as Snape entered the kitchen and took his usual seat.

"I can't. I'll throw it up," Harry rolled his head to the side so that he could see his guardian, who only looked down at him with a raised eyebrow.

"No, you won't, Harry. But if you're feeling this sick, perhaps I should get you a stomach soother?" With a put upon sigh, Harry sat up.

"Toast, then," he grumbled as he waited expectantly for Snape to tap the table. When his breakfast didn't immediately appear before him, Harry looked up. "Snape?"

Snape motioned towards the table and said, "You try it."

Harry rapped his knuckles against the table, but no food appeared as it did for Snape.

"Nothing happened," he said with a glare towards Snape. "You're putting me on."

Snape shook his head. "I'm not. Try it again, and this time think about what you want to eat. Be it toast, eggs, or my coffee. Don't forget my coffee."

Harry closed his eyes and pictured their breakfast before tapping the table once more. Instantly Harry's toast appeared on a plate with butter and jam. A glass of orange juice was beside it, and Snape's coffee sat in front of him as well.

"Excellent, Harry." Snape praised him, and Harry couldn't help but smile. Snape picked up his cup and took a sip before tapping the table himself so that a plate of eggs and toast also appeared. Harry chewed a small bite of his toast before looking quizzingly at Snape.

"You're not reading the paper today?"

"No," Snape shook his head as he spread strawberry jam on his toast. "I thought we might talk about our plans for Christmas."

"What about them? Aren't we staying here?"

"Is that what you want?" Snape paused in spreading the jam long enough to glance at Harry curiously. "I thought you wanted to spend it at the Manor?"

"I did. I mean, I do," Harry quickly stated. "I just figured that with the interviews happening, we would be staying here. And Ron and Hermione both stayed behind."

"If they have stayed behind because you thought you would be here alone, they needn't have done so. Unless you would rather stay here, we are leaving for the Manor tomorrow morning at the latest. Mr. Weasley and Ms. Granger may floo home from here if they wish."

"I want to go to the Manor," Harry rushed to agree.

"Very well then," Snape took a bite of his eggs, and Harry went back to nibbling at his toast. "You haven't given me a list of what you'd like for Christmas, though. I will need it sometime this week, please."