Chapter 14

I was hyperventilating.

He knows.

He saw my scars.

They are super ugly.

That's the least of your concerns, Verena! So what if they are ugly? 

It's not like he will have to endure them for the rest of his life.

"Veve?" Alvaro called with my new cute nickname to get my attention, and I smiled at him, ignoring Izan's intense glare from across the room. He had not said anything the whole time I played with Alvaro and his toys, and we had been playing for hours. 

Is he just observing... or is he planning a murder?

"Alvaro, time to go home." Izan's words made Alvaro cling to my neck, the same way I did to Izan at the mall, and I laughed at his cuteness while blushing at my actions.

"No!"

"Alvaro, I won't repeat myself. She needs to rest, and you are way past your bedtime." It was already ten in the evening. Alvaro huffed in annoyance but released my neck and looked at me with his beautiful green eyes. 

I did not want him to leave, but I had a few documents to translate for tomorrow.

"Buenas noches, Veve," he kissed my nose, taking me by surprise, but I didn't mind it.

"Goodnight, buddy," I replied as I kissed his forehead. 

I will be a good mom one day.

Where did that come from, Verena?

From your mommy and daddy issues.

Why am I roasting myself?

Izan carried him and walked to the door. "I will drop him off and be right back. We need to talk."

Time to hide.

~~~

"Verena?" I heard Izan call from downstairs, but I didn't dare make a sound. I was hiding in his closet while working on some documents. He gave me a laptop, and I intended to use it whenever I got the chance, even if I was literally hiding from confrontation. 

Finding me would take him a while since he wouldn't think I would enter his room without his permission.

Yeah, right. It's not the king's chamber.

But he does own the house, Verena.

Oh, shut up!

"Verena!" His voice got louder, and I began to feel uncomfortable, not being able to focus on my job. I didn't want to talk about the scars, so it was my right to hide. "Vera," this time, he sounded so frantic that he used a nickname, which was adorable. "Ay dios mío, please don't be kidnapped," he yelled as he opened each door like a beast. It was time to end his panic attack. [Oh my God.]

"In here," I called, and the slamming of the doors stopped. I heard rapid footsteps and just prayed that he wouldn't beat the heck out of me. "In the closet, but I'm not lesbian. I'm straight as a pole, but I don't mind people being lesbians. I'm cool with that. They do them, rig-" I shut up when he slid the closet door open and stared at me. 

He was sweating. He looked smoking hot. If only I could just touch his tattoos. "Hey there," I smiled as I put the laptop down and crossed my legs.

"Fucking hell!" he muttered, then crouched down so fast that I flinched out of habit. I wasn't a coward; my body was.