fourteen. said i'll never let you go

Aurora nervously stared about the window for all fifteen hours they were on road. She refused to talk, to eat, or to do anything but stare at the window. Once they parked in front of Taylor's house, Aurora's eyes involuntarily lit up as she saw Taylor.

Taylor was talking to her mom, impatiently waiting for Aurora's arrival. She was so busy trying to think about what to say when she saw the girl, she didn't notice that Aurora was right behind her. Aurora smiled before gently tapping on Taylor's shoulder.

"What!" Taylor asked, before turning around.

As soon as she saw Aurora, she wrapped the small girl in a hug, gently rubbing her back. Tears streamed down both of their faces as they held onto each other.

"C'mon, baby, let's get you cleaned up," Taylor whispered, taking the girl inside.

"Ma'am, we need to go to the police station, immediately," the police officer says.

"You want to take a girl who has been missing for days and came back in ruined clothes, new bruises, shaking, can't talk, fragile, and malnourished into a police station instead of letting her bathe, eat, and change clothes first?" Taylor asks, aggressively.

"We'll wait here, come out when you're ready," he responds, waiting by his car.

Taylor takes Aurora in, running her a warm bath and helping her in. She quickly goes to get Aurora clothes, rushing as fast as she could. As she came back, she saw Aurora struggling, trying to get out. Taylor quickly helps her up, wrapping her in a towel.

"Go ahead and change, I'll be waiting right outside," Taylor tells her.

As soon as the girl walked out, a little more fresh and wearing good clothes, Taylor hands her a muffin, trying to get her to eat something small. They both walk outside together again, meeting everyone again. No one bombards Aurora with questions, which she was very thankful for. The police officer who helped Aurora back in the cabin walks back up, greeting Taylor.

"Hey there guys, just a little run down of what's gonna happen. We think it's a good idea to file a complaint at the station and get it out the way. All three men will be held in jail until the trial which will be in about two weeks. Do you have any more questions?" she says.

Just as Taylor was gonna respond, a huge ambulance pulled up with loud sirens. Aurora moves closer to Taylor, trembling at the loud sound.

"I'll answer any questions in the ambulance. We're getting her to the hospital. Andrea said that you'll ride with Aurora to the hospital," the cop explains, walking them to the ambulance.

"What's gonna happen after?" Taylor asks, once settled in the vehicle.

"After seeing how much Aurora needs you, we talked to a social worker and if you would like, we can give you the adoption papers right after the trial. But until then, she can still stay with you. Based on the situation, they will surely go to jail and with Aurora being comfortable with you, the adoption will go smoothly," she explains.

The cop goes over to Taylor, whispering something in her ear, causing her to gasp. They both look at Aurora who looks at them with confusion. Taylor gives her a small smile and holds her hands.

"Aurora's birth mom is alive, she wants custody of Aurora,"

"Mom, what am I gonna do! I have to tell Aurora that her mom was alive and actually left her dad for another man because she didn't want Aurora and now is fighting for custody?" Taylor asks, sadly.

Andrea gives her daughter a small smile, not knowing what to say. She holds onto Taylor's hand and rubs her back soothingly.

"Taylor, it's time. The trial is in three days and they both are back to back, she needs to know," her father says.

"I know, dad, I'm scared,"

"It'll be okay, kiddo,"

Taylor hesitantly walks back into the room Aurora was in, shooting her a small smile as she walks in. She gets in the small bed next to Aurora, holding the girl in her arms. SHe couldn't bear the thought of losing her to someone who didn't want her in the first place. She talked to her lawyer who promised her she'd win both cases, but she still had an overwhelming fear.

"Tay... sad," Aurora lets out, in a strained voice.

"Shh, baby, don't talk, don't strain yourself. I'm okay, but I need to tell you something," Taylor says.

"You're a really strong and brave girl and I promise I'm going to fight till death to keep you with me," Taylor starts.

"You know how your dad told you that your mom died?" Aurora nods her head. "She's actually alive, she left for another man, but she's fighting to get custody over you." Aurora sobs as she shakes her head no.

"Don't worry too much, my lawyer is amazing and he'll make sure that she doesn't get custody," Taylor says, trying to get the girl to feel better.

But to her dismay, Aurora doesn't stop crying, causing Taylor's heart to swell with pain. After a couple minutes, Aurora tired herself out and fell asleep, grasping onto Tyor with a tight grip. Taylor kissed the top of the girl's head, rubbing her back. She wrapped her hands protectively around the fragile girl, falling asleep too.