Chapter16

"Harry?"

Boy snuggled more deeply into his pillows, not wanting to move. His nose scrunched up when it was booped.

"Oh, look at his sweet little ears!" Cissa cooed, brushing a lock of his hair aside.

Opening his eyes, he noticed just how close Cissa was and jolted in surprise. "M'rnin'," he said, rubbing the grit out of his eyes.

"It's nearly time for dinner," Cissa said softly, taking a seat on the edge of the bed. "Would you like to come down? If not, I could send a house elf up with something for you."

Immediately, Boy was thrust backwards in time to his attic. He shook his head vehemently. "I'll come down!"

Blinking in surprise, she collected herself and nodded. "Well, I think you have enough time to get a quick shower and maybe a peek in the mirror."

Boy cocked his head to the side, not understanding. When he remembered what had happened before he'd fallen asleep, he gasped and practically leapt out of bed. Just as he was beginning to tilt backward, a pair of firm hands caught him.

"Your center of gravity will have altered somewhat," Professor Snape said suddenly, shocking Boy.

How had he not seen the professor? Where had he come from?

He nodded and leaned out of the gentle hold. He stood still for a moment, shifting his weight around. It didn't take long for him to be comfortable with the slight amount of weight added to his back. He wiggled his shoulders a bit, feeling the brush of thin, cool leather against his back and arms.

Slowly, cautiously, he made his way to the en suite. Only a few steps in, he stopped and giggled at a tickling sensation that he couldn't quite pinpoint.

He turned to find a dazzling blue bit of leather sliding along his pajama pants. It tickled! It was his wing! He needed to find a mirror!

Hurrying, he made his way to the loo. He'd vaguely noticed the large mirror the night before, but hadn't actually gone into the opulent room.

Taking a deep, slow breath, he stepped in front of the mirror. He couldn't believe it. That wasn't him! Perfect porcelain skin with pink cheeks and lips. One of his eyes remained green, though it was much brighter than before. The other eye was the same stunning shade of blue as his wings. The wings! They were gorgeous! Much like the professor had said, they really did fade from black to that unbelievable shade of blue. What he hadn't mentioned was the delicate silver filigree along the upper edges. It positively glowed!

Carefully, he picked up his left wing and stretched it out as far as he could reach, and it still wasn't out the whole way! How big was his wingspan?!

Unable to test it, as his arms were not long enough to reach, he focused on the strange feel of the leather. It was warm to the touch, incredibly soft and silky and surprisingly flexible.

"Ordinarily, fae wings are transparent," came the professor's casual drawl.

Spinning around in shock, Boy overbalanced and landed on his bum. Cheeks burning, he looked up at the professor.

"Are you alright?"

He nodded, too embarrassed to reply properly.

"It was not my intention to startle you," he continued. "I had incorrectly assumed you saw my reflection. My apologies."

"That's okay," Boy eventually said, climbing to his feet. "Did you need something?"

"When I noticed that the door had been left open, I had planned on discussing your new appearance, more specifically, your wings. There are reasons behind nearly every aspect of them."