Chapter 17 - Pt.2

"Is this how I'm meant to help?" Koty asked worriedly. "I only know one spell to heal broken bones, but it's only for little bones, like noses and toes." Naturally, he'd learned a lot of spells for healing, given his history with the Potter family, but bone-mending was out of his league.

What was he going to do? Yes, he knew that Severus said they had other ideas. This was the best plan, though. If it weren't, they would have chosen to use one of the backups!

"Okay, er," Koty began, biting his lip. "Am I allowed to get help from my mate?"

The High Luminary clearly did not like that idea. She reared back and let out a thunderous whinny.

"Alright!" He squeaked out, hands raised in both defence and surrender. "I'll-I'll do what I can. I can't make any guarantees, but I'll try. Is that okay?"

The only sound was the occasional huff from one of the unicorns.

Well, Koty decided that he had to try everything... so he started with episkey. The broken bone shifted a tiny bit, but that only seemed to cause the unicorn pain.

"I'm sorry!" Koty said sadly, trying to think up alternatives. "There was one spell I heard of, but I've never had the chance to try it out. I'm gonna try, okay?"

Doing his best to keep calm, Koty let out a slow breath. He pointed his wand at the broken leg once more. But before he could open his mouth to say the spell, the High Luminary snatched the wand out of his hand and tossed it aside.

"Ceres, help me," he muttered under his breath, watching the wand tumble end over end, until it finally settled about twenty metres away from the group. He cupped his shaking hands around the wound and did his best to clear his mind. Even though he was blood adopted, rather than born into the Malfoy family, there was a tiny chance that he'd inherited the Magical Control from the ceremony.

Koty forced himself not to smile when the magic began to build up in his hands... but it felt different. To start with, the colour that was forming was not the tell-tale silver, but the same brilliant shade of blue as the tips of his wings. Healing magic usually felt like a thrum of energy, but this was warm and soft, like putting on a fluffy oversized sweater on a cold day. Like the hugs he got from his parents, or when his mummy kissed his scraped hands in Diagon Alley.

His eyes fell closed as he let the magic build, letting it wrap around him, filling him up, until he was sure the glow had encapsulated him entirely. The feeling was becoming intense as he cupped his small hands around the broken leg and let the magic out in shining pulses.

The unicorn huffed, but remained perfectly still.

Koty, with his eyes still closed, was picturing the leg sliding painlessly into place, then the silvery blood-flow slowed until it eventually stopped, then the skin knitting itself back together.

When the warm, cosy feeling dissipated, Koty was alarmed. Why was it stopping?

Something pushed his hands away, and he was astonished to see the previously injured unicorn standing up. It worked! It really worked!

The joy Koty felt was like nothing else. His insides were jittery, his hands shook, tears fell freely from his eyes and he couldn't stop giggling.

He was snapped out of his natural high when the High Luminary approached the newly healed foal and tossed Her mane aside, exposing Her neck.

The healed foal pointed its horn at the side of Her neck and jerked its head back. The High Luminary, ignoring the cut, calmly walked over to a pile of rocks and leaned over them. Silver blood collected in the curve of a rock, almost like a primitive bowl.