Wattpad Original
There are 16 more free parts

Ch. 14: Party Like a Werewolf

I aspired to be an astronomer, so solstices didn't mystify me. The Summer Solstice was the longest day of the year, and the Winter Solstice was the shortest, thanks to the tilt of the Earth toward the sun.

The universe held bigger secrets than that.

That morning, when Mie finally announced we needed a coffee break after working non-stop because of yesterday's attack, she introduced me to a werewolf point of view.

"You need to think with your wolf's heart, not your human mind," she said, then arched one brow. "Or just think."

I sighed. What had just happened on the balcony between Blake and me was still on my mind, exciting me too much to think straight. I hugged my mug of chamomile tea and tried.

What was the most important for the pack? "The Moon Goddess?"

Mie nodded along. "Yes, Moon Goddess and..."

It was as if we were playing a game. It was my move.

"Night," I said. Then..."Oh!"

Again, the answer was plain. "It's the shortest night of the year."

"Bingo!" Mie saluted me with her coffee. "It's the time to party hard to reassure the pack that the Goddess hasn't abandoned them and the nights will grow long."

"And the Winter Solstice?" I raised the palm of my hand to stop Mie from helping me, even though she didn't seem to be in a hurry to do that.

"It's spiritual," I said, feeling my way through it. "The longest night to explore your connection to the Goddess, the pack, and the world."

"Something like that." Mie got up to signal that the break was over.

But there was more to it, something really important I was missing. Blake wanted to announce his mate on the night of the Winter Solstice. It was a tradition. So...

"It's a night for commitments said before the Goddess. The night for rituals and sacred mysteries. Like the mating matches!" I cried out.

"Yes, yes." Mie said. "Also, many werewolves see their marks blessed by the moonlight on that night. Can we get back to work now?"

I remembered the silver Alpha tattoo on Blake's body. It gave me pleasant shivers thinking about it, imagining laying next to his naked body and kissing it. I cleared my throat. "So...the marks' magic wakes up on the night of the Winter Solstice?"

"Yes, the Goddess confirms the packs' choices. Mating and status marks glow and stay silver."

Alas, if the Goddess didn't give me a Luna mark until then, it might be too late.

I sighed. "I don't even have an Omega mark so far. I'm only a stray in this pack."

Mie said nothing, shifting her keyboard and her mouse around her desk. I started toward mine, but she looked so content, that my eyes welled with tears.

Before I could control my feelings, I blurted out, "I wish my life was more like yours, with everything fitting so well together and so certain."

Her hands clasped over her barely there baby-bump and her gaze misted over. "I'd never let go of what I have, yet...please, don't laugh...I'm a little envious of what you have with Blake. How he looks at you, the secrets, not knowing everything for sure...it's really exciting."

I grabbed the corner of my desk to stay upright. "Exciting?"

"Uh-huh. Courtship period is the best."

I spotted a foxy smile on her lips just in time. It was another test. Since the attack, Mie didn't seem to open her mouth only to correct a mistake I made or test my resolve, my dedication to Blake or my good nature.