CHAPTER ONE

green eyes :: siena // nothing but thieves

S I E N A
L O N D O N, U K

It's dark in London. Despite the tall buildings and wondrous lights, there's always a dark atmosphere and a catastrophic absence of humanity and peace. As long as you know the right routes, and have a basic skill of intuition, I'd say you're more-or-less safe.

The chime of Elizabeth Tower sings across London, signalling to the millions of residents it's time to awaken. Despite it being May, it's a particularly dark, cloudy day. I assume May Showers are on their way. I stare at the horizon, frowning from the lack of sleep and lack of sun. I've grown sick of winter, and I'm thoroughly excited for the summer sun. I sigh, rubbing my eyes and jump up from my bed. As I open the door, I hear my flatmate shout.

"I'll be out in five minutes!" She calls, her half-Italian accent accentuated with her cry.

Like every morning. It's our routine. I usually work nights, and get home around this time, just as she's getting up for work.

I pass the bathroom, and sluggish stroll down our short hallway. As I enter our brightly lit kitchen, I immediately press down on the button of the kettle, recognising that my dry tongue is stuck to the roof my mouth. I'm absolutely parched. My eyes feel heavy. I feel as though I could collapse.

"Did you manage to get any sleep?" Lux finally enters the room, grabbing the mug of coffee I made her from the side. She leans against the counter and takes a sip. "Mmm, thanks, Sax."

I weakly side-smile and sit down at our small, wooden, circular table. I run my hand over the pathetically dying tulips placed in a stolen Strongbow pint glass. The petals fall. "Had about thirty minutes. I wanna stay in routine."

"Are you going to look for more work today?" She frowns, sitting down and grabbing her boots from beside the table.

"Yeah." I reply, half-arsedly. "Dearest Mummy and Daddy's money won't last forever." I scoff.

Lux gives me a sympathetic smile and places a hand on my shoulder. "I'll see if there's anyone I know that has places going."

I give her an appreciative smile and lean back on the chair. "You better go before you're late."

"You're right." She nods, zipping up her boots and standing up, downing her coffee. "I'll see you later, mia sorella."

I give her a smile as she exits the flat, her keys making a loud rattling noise as she exits. She's a collector of key rings, you see. I awkwardly tap my feet together as I begin to wonder how to spend the day ahead. Usually, I'd be asleep by 10am once I've had some breakfast - or in my case, dinner - and relaxed for a bit, then I'd back awake by 6pm to get ready for my shift that would usually start about 9pm.

I decide to have a read through job listings on my phone. I frown once I see availability is only in pubs or the jobs in my area are listed at minimum wage rate. This is London, for crying out loud. My rent is £800 alone — and that's just my half. Not including bills on top of that.

By 8am, I'm laid back in bed on my soft mattress and black sheets, looking through Instagram when I get a call from Lux. "Hello?" I answer, wondering why she's contacting me during her workday. It's rare.

"Hey. I've just spoken to Alfonso. He says they're looking for someone in the bar he works at. I've put your name forward so you should expect to hear from him today." She explains.

I sit up, smiling. "Which bar?"

"Phoenix."

I know that bar. It's extremely high-class that you have to be a member of to drink at. I've heard rumours that it's a beautiful bar. "Oh, shit, really?" I ask, running my finger over my bottom lip. The stress of being unemployed has got to me. They're chapped.