CHAPTER SIX

you're a germ // wolf alice

S I E N A

It's been about two weeks since I started at Phoenix. I feel like everyone is keeping secrets from me, but I get the feeling I'm better off not knowing. I've seen Ezra once in the last fourteen days, however we exchanged numbers and text each other daily. Ivy asked me to start coming to a self-defence class with her, which after the incident with Colm and Finn, I jumped to the opportunity.

I have met more staff who work on the bar. There's Alex; who keeps to himself, Joey; who I can have a joke with, and lastly Ella, who's got a voice like a foghorn. A few nights ago, two lads got a bit rowdy but as soon as Ella raised her tone, they instantly packed it in. I think she's class.

"Sax. Pass me that vodka, will ya?" Ivy shouts across the bar.

I nod and hand the bottle down. It's a Saturday, so therefore quite busy, meaning Ivy, Joey and I are tending the bar today. It's only early, so I imagine it will get busier come midnight. I finish fixing up two Negronis and place them on the bar in front of me. I cash up the lady's order and then turn to the awaiting gentleman. "Hey, what can I get you?"

He looks over me. "Are you new?"

I nod. "Yeah. Just started a few weeks ago. I'm Sax."

"Nice to meet you. I'm Aston." He shakes my hand and gives me a bright smile. "Hopefully this place hasn't been too rowdy for a nice girl like you."

"No, no, I think I manage well." I nod, giving him a small chuckle. "Anyway, drink?"

"Erm, I'll just take an Old-Fashioned please. Rye, if you have it." He smiles.

"Coming right up." I smile, standing before him and making the drinks. "Do you not come here often then?" I ask, feeling the need to say something instead of having him just stare at me.

"Only every few month or so. I'm from Manchester, you see."

I smile up at him. "Oh, really? Me too! I was born there and grew up in Bolton."

"Ah, we're neighbours! I'm originally from Knutsford." He chuckles. "What made you move down here?"

"I just needed a change of scenery." I smile, taking a slice of orange peel from the fruit. I double take as I see someone at the bottom of the bar, by the entrance. It's Domenico.

Aston chuckles. "I know that feeling."

We share a laugh and I cash him up. "Here you go." I say, passing the change over to him.

"Thanks. It was nice to meet you, Sax."

"You too."

He turns away, stops and then turns back. "I know this is quite mad but," he pauses, leaning against the bar, "would you wanna go out some time?"

I blush and look over him. He's reasonably attractive. Even if we don't end up together, a shag would be nice. I smile and nod. "Yeah, why not."

He smiles brightly. "Great. Let me give you my number!" He quickly scribbles it down on a napkin at the bar and I smile, pocketing it in my back pocket of my jeans.

"Siena. Can I borrow you?"

I hear shouted from the bottom of the bar.

Domenico is stood there, scowling. His chiselled jaw tensed and his eyes sharpened on me.

I nod and walk over to him, licking my dry lips. I grab my glass of water as I pass it and stop still in front of him. "What's up?"

He looks over my shoulder, and I follow his gaze to see he's staring at Aston. "Let's talk in my office."