CHAPTER EIGHT

i ain't quite where i think i am // arctic monkeys

D O M E N I C O

"She's in your bed." The text from Bill reads.

I smile and place the phone back into my pocket. "Your first night was a success I see."

Ezra chuckles, placing the large wad of cash in front of him. "Tell me about it. Thanks again, Nic." He smiles up at me.

I smile in return and cross my leg over the other. "Listen, seeing as you technically owe me—"

"Oh, Christ. What do you want?" Ezra sighs.

"Can I pass a couple of grand through your books for you to bank for me?"

Ezra rolls his eyes. "Fine. I'm no stranger to a bit of money laundering."

I chuckle and click my fingers. Alfonso steps forward, handing me an envelope. "Can we start with, say, five grand?"

"Alright." He nods, taking the envelope of cash from me. "Is Julius aware?"

"Obviously." I smile. Julius is my inside-guy. He's my accountant and knows how to fuck the books.

"Sound. I'll get him on the phone tomorrow." Ezra smiles, looking back down at the desk and continuing to count his funds. "Where did you banish Sax to then? You've not sent the lamb for slaughter, have you?"

"No." I chuckle.

"Good. I like her." He responds, still looking down. "Plus she makes the best Old-fashioned ever."

I smile. "Yeah, she's a great girl." I admit then widen my eyes as I realise what I'd said.

Ezra looks at me with amusement. "You like her, huh?"

I frown. "Like her? I'm not a child."

Ezra raises his eyebrow. "I heard you cut off your thing with Sophia over her."

I shift in my chair. "Well, yes, Sophia made her uncomfortable."

He laughs in response. "When have you ever cared about what makes someone uncomfortable? I've literally watched you pull out tongues and teeth, and snap people's bones and suddenly you're worried about what makes someone uncomfortable?" He looks at me with amusement and disbelief, his eyebrow raised.

"Ezra—"

"It's fine if you do." He interrupts. "Sax is a really good woman. I think she'd do well."

I groan and roll my eyes. "She doesn't even know the truth."

"Then tell her." He shrugs.

His words stay in my brain for the rest of the night. As Bill drives me home, I think about the conversation. How would she react to the truth about our business? I enter my apartment and walk towards my bedroom door. I softly open it and peak through to see Siena. She's laid on her front, her curly brown hair neatly tucked behind signalling she must be so out of it and sleeping that she's not even moved. Her dress is still on, however one shoulder is hanging off, and it's raised up a little over her bottom. She looks like an Angel. I enter the room and sit down on the bed, softly unbuckling her shoes and pulling them off her feet. How girls can wear heels for so long is beyond me. I pull the duvet up to her back and admire her face.