Chapter 16: Show Revival

Chapter Sixteen: Show Revival

ANGLING THE katana's side blade on the neck of one of my uninvited guests, the weapon easily tore his skin and found his flesh. It didn't cut. Not yet. It was not supposed to until I wanted it to. I made sure it sank just enough for him not to easily slip away. I let it grind against his own self's meat, and on the wall, he was slammed with no chance of escape.

And when he's about to do just what his fallen comrades did before they were sent to the underworld, I bidded him farewell the same way I did to the others.

"You co—"

"Yeah, say 'hi' to Herman Morleen for me down there," I cut him off. Literally.

Sa pagbaba ko ng katana, kasabay na umagos ng bagong dugong bumalot dito ang katawan ng mersernaryong wala ng matatawag na bituka't ngala-ngala. Pinanood ko kung paanong malayang naglakbay ang likidong kakulay ng katas ng ubas sa de-kahoy na sahig, sumisiksik kahit sa makikitid sa siwang at walang pinipiling mamantsahan. Naabot nito ang hugis ng tsinelas na suot ko, isang eksenang humatak muli sa 'kin sa nakaraang pilit kong tinatakasan.

That nightmare. That bloody nightmare.

Tulad ng Sean na naroon, tila estatwa akong nakatayo sa kawalan at naiwang nakatulala sa sapatos na nakaapak sa lusak ng dugo. At kagaya ng nasa bangungot, tumingala ako sa unti-unting pagkakakonekta ng dugo hanggang sa makabuo ng imahe na tila baha ito. Sa hinaba-haba ng panahon, kwinestiyon ko ang kahulugan ng panaginip na 'yon pero heto't animo'y pinapahiwatig pala nito ang mangyayaring pagtatangka sa buhay ko.

My brows furrowed as I felt a presence from behind, one whose efforts to be stealthy were sabotaged by the subtle splash sounds made by his footsteps as he advanced toward me.

"You're right, Gavin," I sighed. "For an entity that is called the author of His children's lives, He's doing a pretty bad job for us side characters."

Alas. When my ears caught the thin whiff of wind nearby, I turned my body swiftly yet aggressively to pierce through the visitor's mouth. Dugo niya ang sumalubong sa mukha ko na siyang halos ikinapikit ko. She must've thought she could produce one last battle cry but didn't think a pathetic chatter would be the last thing I'd appreciate at this point.

"But he's doing an uglier job with you, dear sister," I told her, disgusted with the blood oozing over my skin. "I'm sure you'll be besties with the man below in that regard. He had the worst, after all." An axe dropped to the floor with a loud thud, hence her right hand was left hanging in the air.

Birds of the same feather flock together. Her comrades and she would prefer to either spit curses to my face or bite their tongues to death instead of being useful one last time. Thus, preventing her from doing either would be the best.

Kahit naman maghandog pa siya ng kapaki-pakinabang na balita, huli na. The female mercenary struggled to even process what transpired. She gurgled on her own blood in her mouth, with nothing but me, his target, as the last person she'll see as life gets taken away from her. How pitiful.