Chapter 9: Hospitality

Chapter Nine: Hospitality

I FROZE the moment our lips touched. Like how one flick of a switch could turn everything down, my thoughts and my ability to move were instantly buried seven feet to the ground. Her eyes are gently shut, and the distance she had swiftly closed allowed me to see her long eyelashes to a degree. It was merely a collision, not a passionate kiss, yet I can't deny that my chest keeps heaving up and down laboriously. It's almost like déjà vu is not enough word to describe the familiarity my body feels with her.

I wondered what would fit or what I should think until this moment faded. However, the idea only sheds light on a memory I have thrown on the darkest part of my mind.

The memory when I answered Alexandria's question as to why the judge of the greatest council ever known to the Underground had stupidly chosen to fall in love with his brother's wife.

"Sean."

Hindi nagtagal ang mga labi ko sa kaniya. Hindi rin nagtagal ang pagkakapikit ko at lalong hindi ako nagkaroon ng pagkakataon na masaulo ang pakiramdam na mahalikan siya. Sa isang iglap, natagpuan na lang namin ang mga sarili namin na nakatitig sa isa't isa. Parehong may katanungan ang mga titig, ngunit magkaiba ang mensaheng kinikipkip.

We didn't dare voice those questions. Nonetheless, the way she pushed me the second I pursued her lips was enough testament that she would never mistake anyone for the Vantress who truly owned the key to her heart. And as much as I try to be, I would never be that Vantress.

Just how hardheaded am I to not fully understand that?!

In shame, I lowered my head. "I'm sorry. I crossed the line," I admitted.

Walang salita ang sumalubong sa paumanhin ko. Tanging ang malakas na pagbali ng kahoy sa pugon ang dumaig sa katahimikang bumabalot sa silid. Katahimikang batid kong mensahe na ring maituturing.

I scoffed as another splash of dejection was poured on me, soaking me with disgust for myself from my head down to my smallest toe. "I know I shouldn't have done that—"

"Yes, you should have not." Alex was quick to second my statement that she didn't let me finish it. "What the hell were you thinking?"

Once again, we looked straight into each other's eyes. She shook her head repeatedly, denying whatever happened. "This is a betrayal against your brother... and my husband."

Sinigurado niyang diinan ang pagkakabanggit sa kung sino si kuya sa kaniya at sa 'kin. 'Di man diretso ang mga kataga, pinahihiwatig niyang tandaan ko ang lugar kung saan ako nararapat. Pinapaalala niyang huwag kong hahamaking iwan ito para sa pwestong may umookupa na.

Sean Kyle Vantress, you idiot.

"I know I owe you a lot, but I cannot lay my heart among the cards as a prize," she said firmly, her hands clasped together as they rested upon her lap. "I am not the only one who can provide the light you seek, Sean. The sun may only be one in the sky, but that doesn't mean it's the only thing that can serve as a source of light."