Chapter 18: The Ploy Behind the Ploy

Chapter Eighteen: The Ploy Behind the Ploy

"SLAUGHTERED? EXTINCT?" I can't help but repeat the words that would soon herald a chaos of unprecedented scale the Underground has never experienced before. "But... Those people are... Those people were..." A gasp stuck in my throat, rendering me speechless and leaving me with the only resonating emotion I could find within me---fear.

Ni hindi pa namin tapos pahupain ng sitwasyon matapos ng pagkaupos ng imahe ng Konseho, ngunit anupa't ang Clan of Light naman ang sumunod?

Lei's head rose from the mercy of my palms. "Yes... those people. They were strong," she nodded in acknowledgment. "They were also enhanced after attempting to recreate the antidote for a long time. They were cunning. They were able to live under our noses safely and hidden from the eyes of the Council even before we were even born."

Abang tinitigan ko ang paggalaw ng mumunting ilaw na nakareplekta sa mga mata ng babaeng pinakamamahal ko. Nahuli ko kung paanong lumukot ang mga labi niya't nanginig na para bang hindi batid kung bubuksan niya ito o ititikom na lamang ba. She could care less about anyone, but even she could not deny that she trembled over the ultimate extinction of one of the oldest secret societies in the Underground. 

"And now they were dead. Not even Onyx Blood Disease dead but dead dead," natutulala kong pagdugtong.

"Yes. They were," my wife confirmed hopelessly.

My lips pursed in bewilderment, unable to understand why the universe seems adamant to take away our peace at every turn. We fought hard for it, didn't we? We earned it, didn't we? What more do we have to offer to enjoy it to the fullest and for it to last until our last breath?

"We just got our peace back, my loves," I told her, almost like a child whining to go outside and bask in freedom, in sunlight, in nature.  

She heaved a sigh and bit her lower lip for a moment. "We do."

"So why is this happening?"

"I wish I know."

The usual tranquility on Lei's features easily distorted with concern and pain. "I really wish I knew." Once again, she held my hands tight and granted them the bliss of the touch of her lips. "I wish Escape gave me the ability to know. My immunity to poison is very much useless in this matter, sorry."

My heart aches watching her console me from the distress that I am perfectly aware she is suffering from, as well. When she was about to lift her head carefully, I had my right hand slip from her grasp. It found the soft skin of her left cheek, caressing it as it adjusts to get a hold of her face. Feeling her warmth on my hand gave me power potent enough to shut everything else that was happening beyond the curtains. I swear I could hear the rustle of the friction of our skin, the amplified beatings of our hearts as they chase each other's thumps, and the subtle breeze our breaths make as we drown from each other's longing and attention.