Chapter 8: Déjà Vu

Chapter Eight: Déjà Vu

ANOTHER week passed with me being oblivious to what transpired after the day the Queen of Archery returned to her rightful place— by the side of the King of Spades. Although I am grateful for the peace and solitude I have now, it felt like the whole story about our families' drama, the Mhorfell Academy, and the Council were nothing but a long dream. One that haunted me for so long, but now, I have nothing to prove it ever happened. It's as if everything has been a distant memory, faint and vague. At some point, I was at the center of it, but now, it's like I was never a part of it. Like it's never real at all.

I opened the canned beer as I gazed through the open field, the fizz sound accompanying the wistful hums of OneHeart's Snowfall coming from the radio. "I didn't know falling in love could cause this much butterfly effect," I sighed before taking a short sip and winced at both the taste and cringiness of my words. "I wonder if my mom realized that when she married Clyde Vantress."

A union that no one knew how to define. A fairytale or a tragedy... It seems it's always been Amaluna Brooven's life's underlying mystery.

Lumapat ang inumin sa lalamunan ko't nagdala ng init dito. Kontra rito'y malaya namang pumasok ang malamig na hangin ng hatinggabi at hinalikan ang buong mukha ko. Marahan akong umub-ob sa manibela habang nakatitig sa nagliliwanag na bilugang buwan.

"Peace sounds so boring now..." I mumbled, tapping the canned beer with my index finger as it hung from my grasp. "On the other side, peace sounds like a luxury. There, every day was a fucking challenge of survival that you can't even sleep or breathe comfortably."

Ito ba 'yung sinasabi nilang, hindi mo pahahalagahan ang isang bagay hangga't maranasan mo na mawala 'yon sa 'yo?

I further tilted my head over upon my hands, wondering if the moon would answer my queries. "So this is what an ordinary person feels like, huh? One that is far from the world of mafias and the intrigue of the Underground."

"Arff! Arff!"

Sumilay ang ngiti sa mga labi ko nang ipaalala ni Bean ang presenya niya mula sa passenger seat. Ibinaling ko ang ulo ko sa direksyon niya. "What? Are you saying it's alright because I have you with me?"

As if he understood what I'm saying, he barked one more time, flashing his sparkly big eyes at me and wagging his tail enthusiastically. I can't help but chuckle. "Yeah, I guess you're a good company to take," I told him and I leaned forward so that my forehead could touch his.

Bean whined at the gesture, even rubbing his own little head against mine affectionately. And just like that, a curt smile became wide enough to reach my ears. Kakatwa na sa isang maliit na nilalang na tulad ng aso na ito ko pa mararamdaman ang pakiramdam ng napakikinggan at nauunawaan. Isang sensasyong hindi ko masasabing madalas kong naramdaman mula sa mga taong dating abot-kamay ko lang.

So this is why the world deems your kind a man's best friend, huh?