Chapter 4: Before the Show

Chapter Four: Before the Show

"TULOY pa rin ba mamaya ang plano?"

Sa paglantad ng boses na 'yon sa silid ko, natigil ang mga daliri ko sa pangatlong butones sa ibaba ng puting polo ko. Napakurap ako sa kawalan, napaisip sa katanungan niya. 'Di dahil nagdadalawang isip kundi hindi makapaniwalang dumating na ang araw na pinakahihintay naming dalawa ni Alexandria. Ang araw na magtatapos sa lahat. Ang araw na maglalagay ng tuldok sa mga luha't pangungulila.

It's about time for her to come home.

"Yes, we shall proceed as I have said we would," I answered firmly, turning my gaze to the tall and slim figure of the woman standing at my door through the reflection of the mirror in front of me. "The Council shall be disbanded once the enemies conquered most of the academy's proximity, and the men loyal to the Council's objectives must be exterminated for eternity. There will no longer be a second chance for this organization and its pathetic purpose. No more."

Jia heaved a sigh as we stare into each other's eyes as if weighing how solid and how heavy our resolutions could turn the burning boat we jumped into around. However, unfortunately for her, no matter which one's the sturdier and heavier, this boat we share has been doomed the moment it sailed. It's bound to break and sink. I told her. She knew, yet she stepped in it, anyway. The four of them did.

"Are you having second thoughts now that the day has come?" It was my turn to ask, unamused of her arrival, when she should preparing to accommodate Alexander Cromello's troops anytime soon. Nahulog sa magkabilang gilid ko ang mga kamay ko at saka siya pinaniningkitang binalingan. "Are you afraid of death, milady, now that you're about to face it? Do you regret joining me in this quest?"

For the past years that the plan is unfolding right under the Underground's nose, wala akong narinig ni kakarampot na reklamo sa mga dukesa. I appreciate that, sure. Nevertheless, neither opposing me nor dissuading me were choices never available to them in the first place, not even when Rebecca died after being captured and tortured by Dereen, Fiacre, and Rennei. Thus, if one of them chooses to do it now when everything's almost done, I wouldn't mind demonstrating my utmost disgust at their upsetting timing and lack of tact.

"That's not what I meant, Judge." Lumunok ito at pinaglingkis ang mga palad nang mahigpit. "A-Ang akin lang, kailangan ba talagang ikaw ang sumalo ng lahat para sa kanila? B-Bakit kailangang ikaw ang magdusa sa huli? Can't you shift the blame to any of us and simply live in peace? Escape while you could." Kasabay ng mabilis niyang pagkurap ang pagkakautal niya ng mga salitang huli na para banggitin pa.

I raised a brow at her, ticked at the way she took everything into words. Magdusa? Sino ba siya para pangunahan ako at ilarawan ang katapusang hindi naman siya ang dadanas? It is only I who can define my fate. It is only I who can say if it's actually a tragedy.

"Careful, Duchess Jia. I enjoy your company dahil ikaw ang pinaka-kalmado sa inyo but be careful," I warned her. "I know this day means the end for all of us, but I can make it earlier for you if you want."