Prologue: Should and Shouldn't

The heavy metal door gets closed after me as Luka and I leave the lab. The stench there is really gruesome, and for whatever reason, I start frantically whipping my hands in the handkerchief. The corridor is long and sterile, and our heavy steps echo.

Luka watches me with concern, as always with the concern, but doesn't say a word. He gets used to not asking questions about my well-being because I wouldn't say I like it. Yet his presence is the one I tolerate the most, or more likely, is the only one to whom I have a feeling of attachment. He is probably the only one in this world who genuinely cares about me.

Because everybody else is gone, everybody who meant something to me, everybody except...

Before we part ways in front of our significant bedrooms Luka asks me if I want to eat. I don't... I lost my taste many years ago, so eating is now only a burdensome obligation for me. Every time I put something in my mouth, I see Malcolm giving me food that should be in his stomach, not mine because he had it tougher and needed it more.

Yet I shouldn't think about Malcolm because every time I do, I want to make someone suffer, not caring who.

Spending hours in the shower, I was hoping for the stench of blood, excrement, and other types of fluids hidden in the werewolf's body to go away. I'm obsessed with staying clean no matter what. But I'm also obsessed with warmth. Being cold scares me.

Checking my phone after the shower, I notice the message from Max Brown. He has insisted on meeting with me, which is understandable since I was avoiding him for the last few months, being busy with cleaning all the mess caused by an incident in Prescot and one of my gifts who managed to run away since the explosive device on his leg didn't work.

It's been so chaotic during the last months, but I know I'm close. Just a bit more, I know I can do. I know I can change this world for the better.

I glance at the files on my desk full of information about my enemies or, more likely, those who managed to notice my existence. Not that it matters anyway because humans or werewolves have one thing in common: unending greed and that's why I will never be stopped. Because my webs reach very far away, my enemies finally won't bother me any longer. And now there shouldn't be any more trouble. I should stay focused; I'm so closed, I know it. Just a couple more weeks, months maybe, and finally, I will be able to make a difference.

And yet my mind again starts wondering, bringing the memories of... her. For the first and only time, I managed to smell her, look at her, be so close to her...

I curl, holding my chest tight to surpass my wolf whimpering, the unended feelings of longing for something we will never be able to get and we shouldn't get. And for something I honestly don't want to want. I am getting myself ready for another night that will bring me nightmares, not enough sleep, and this awful sensation of emptiness.

I glance once again at the files lying on my desk, and with shaking hands, I start looking through them, knowing perfectly well what I'm looking for. Her picture is, among many others, taken from a distance, and yet I can't stop the smile creeping on my face. 

She is so beautiful... and even though she should, she will never be mine.